New clean IL-2 install woes ...

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: New clean IL-2 install woes ...

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:26 pm

:FI:Scott wrote:... Stuart-Its a clean install from any 32 to 64 bit OS as I understood it. Sorry. Get saving that invaluable c**p.
Gah! Yeah, I read the link about upgrading vs. full install for 32 to 64 stuff. Well, it's a trip to Best Buy for a cheap external drive fer me this weekend.

Thanks for the advise folks.

~~~

A new version for Rise of Flight here? Does it fix whatever was un-fixed that I have no idea what it was cuz I just don't have time to do any more games? Gawd, I gotta get more free time.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:54 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote: ~~~

A new version for Rise of Flight here? Does it fix whatever was un-fixed that I have no idea what it was cuz I just don't have time to do any more games? Gawd, I gotta get more free time.

Falcon
Yes- new update out today. Seems to have fixed the uber AI snipers but still no online DF servers or reasonable offline campaign. A real shame that such a beautiful sim should be hamstrung with playability issues like this :(
Olegs stalker

:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:48 am

I'd agree with that Neil,

They seem intent to pour their efforts into buyable addon planes but leave out the basic issues that if fixed would put the game into far more players hands. For me its the lacking multiplayer and campaign elements but even then simple stuff like enabling the SE5 elevator trim keeps on being forgotten. The trim wheel is there, it just doesn't work !

I reckon that by the time they have got this something like Oleg will be breathing down their necks with SOW. At that point they might well have lost the opportunity his delays gave them to establish this title. That would be a shame because it has so much potential
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:21 pm

Can only agree with whats been said, I could put up with the sterile campaign (il2 was'nt that great either, never finished a campaign ever) but the direness that is MP is the biggest letdown. Took the camel up in the Russian roulette thing and thought to myself this'll be easy, HAH! once the bad guy had made his pass I turned and promptly went into a stall which I recovered from in time to hit the earth :) . Then I got huffy with the camel and went and tried the Dr.1, once again the pass and once again I make my turn being more careful this time, HAH!, I'm not only stalled but in a flat spin upside down, I threw my controls into the centre, nothing, so I threw them everywhere else still nothing until the inevitable #-o .

Some things may be lacking in this game, but not how difficult it is to fly these things. Onwards and upwards, hopefully :) .

Vin

P.S I have everything on full difficulty.
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Vin - feel for you on the 1 v 1 stuff, but to be honest I stall less and spin less in RoF than I did when I started with IL2. Don't know if it is because the force feedback in RoF is better but I seem to be able to fly on the edge of a stall and get on the tail of opponents easier than in IL2 - the only problem is I still can't shoot worth a damn :lol:

Do you have a FF stick?
Olegs stalker

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:19 am

Got CH fighterstick, throttle and rudders, had them for six years and as good now as when I bought them. The Fighterstick takes a wee bit getting used to. Needless to say I'll be getting CH again if these ever go kaput on me.
On the Rof front, all it took was for me to calibrate my controls and now its less stalling and more flying. Back to loving the Camel (read "Winged Victory" by V.M Yeates and you'll know why), on the subject of books, theres also "Sagittarius Rising" a memoir from Cecil lewis (flying Artillery support then on SE5s with 56 Squadron) or "five years in the RFC" by James McCudden (also of 56 Squadron, it was ghost written, the writing is a bit of its time), theres also books by Billy Bishop and one on Billy Barker I've read, but they were not to my liking.

The silly thing about the campaign in RoF is the tasks your given, cover tanks while they attack?, fly CAP over a factory?, it was either artillery support, recon, or go over and give the bally boche a good seeing to. I'd love just to fly missions were it was a game of aerial chess, you either got bounced or you bounced or perhaps you give it a miss because it just does'nt look good.

My belief is its not worth the money I've put into it, not yet anyway, Neoqb are still improving it and appear committed to doing so long term. I enjoy the game as is, it would be a damn sight better if the MP was up to il2 standard (then the penny pinching Scot in me would be happy :) )

Vin
P.S perhaps we should have a seperate thread for RoF.
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 am

I agree, a Rise of Flight thread would be a good idea.

As for the game Vin the latest patch is the first positive step they have taken since release and I just hope they build on it. Without some decent MP functionality and more of the rough edges taking off this is always going to be a minority interest round here but if they get it sorted it could be something special.

At least the newest update has got me back into flying it again although I haven't bought a new Plane since the SE5. I did try to set up an MP server when I first got the game but failed miserably. After getting IL2 Multiplayer working last I think I will have another go.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:23 am

Give me a shout and we'll see if we can get a MP game going.

Vin
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:28 am

:FI:Ardmore wrote:
The silly thing about the campaign in RoF is the tasks your given, cover tanks while they attack?, fly CAP over a factory?, it was either artillery support, recon, or go over and give the bally boche a good seeing to. I'd love just to fly missions were it was a game of aerial chess, you either got bounced or you bounced or perhaps you give it a miss because it just does'nt look good.
Very good point. From what I have read of the WW1 air war the reason why aircraft (and balloons) were used at first was to provide intelligence on what the enemy were up and spotting for artillery. Competion for airspace - denying the enemy the chance to spot what you were doing or direct artillery onto your positions - saw the evolution of the fighter as the war progressed (and the technology). Close air support of ground troops was pretty unusual. The missions in ROF are pretty ropey - maybe these books are not available in Russian :lol:

Agree we need an RoF thread - I'll start one. ^:)
Olegs stalker