Il-2, AAA, Nvidia drivers and GF280

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Il-2, AAA, Nvidia drivers and GF280

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Guys, does any of you run Il-2 both with and without mods enabled with the unified installer with water settings higher than 0? When I have everything maxed and the water turned up, it doesn't matter if it is 1 or 4, I have slideshow over big water areas. When it is to 0 - it runs like a charm.

I'm using latest nvidia drivers and so on...

any ideas?
ImageImageImage
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: Il-2, AAA, Nvidia drivers and GF280

Post by :FI:Scott » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:23 pm

That card should flatten IL2 Macca. That said IL2 is very cpu dependant so whats your specs there?. It isn't optimised for multiple cpu's and in my experience at least 2 Gb of ram with a fast proccesor is the best solution.

Check to see if you have IL2 set up in your Nvidia control panel so it runs on one card. I think the default is sli ?, also check that threaded optimisation is off. Im using Nhancer now and I think its better than the standard Nvidia control panel so you might want to give that a go. I've found since I started using it I can get Sli running smoothly in split frame rendering mode, I never could get sli right using the Nvidia panel.

Im running water '3' on a dual GTX260 setup and over water its pegged at 60fps (max you can get with v-synch on with my 22" lcd) If I run on one card over water its the same. You should avoid water '2' as it was designed for Ati cards. Apart from slower frames in '4' I cant tell the difference between it and '3'. I use the latest drivers -190.38 and as far as Im concerned they are far better for IL2 than the 180 series.

If you want a copy of my config file or Nvidia setup give me a shout.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Thx mate;)

I'm running Intel Core2Quad Q6600 on winXP with SP3, latest nvidia drivers, 4 GB RAM (waiting for Win7 to use it fully...)

I would appreciate if you could send me your config and nvida settings. I'm gonna give it a go with water 3 after turning the threaded thingy off. Made sure that I have the single display on in nvidia panel. also gonna look into the Nhancer thingy you mentioned.

edit.

still 14 frames...
ImageImageImage
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:00 pm

In Nvidia control panel I have everything nvidia recommended apart from :

Aniso filtering =4x
Antialising mode =Overide
Antialiasing setting =4x
Antialiasing Transparency =Multisampling
Multi display/mixed gpu =Single display performance mode
power management mode =Prefer maximum performance
SLI performance mode = custom (you should select 'single gpu')
Threaded otimisation = off
triple buffering =on
Vertical synch = force on

I'll pm you a copy of my config file. There is something wrong there Macca, the frames are way too low. my cpu is a Q9450 Quad @2.66 Ghz with 4 Gb of ram on Vista 32.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Tried it - same situation. With water=0 and all other bells and whistles on, even with totally maxed AF and AA I am having huuuuge numbers of frames. Turn water up a step,two or three or four - 15 frames.

It is very awkward as all other games run like charm. There must be maybe one parameter to change. Damn, too many options and things to fiddle with.
ImageImageImage
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Ok, going back to 177.24 did the thing;)
ImageImageImage