O-kay, EXACTLY which Vista do I order?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Re: O-kay, EXACTLY which Vista do I order?

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Sat May 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Somehow it Does not like of il2 installed either by msi or setup exe file.
I believe it is more problem with the virtual machine than the system itself.
Will attempt to do it later again.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat May 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Go check the UBI forums in the Community Help section. There's a sticky there that explains alllllllll the things you need to do to make it work. They say that all is good if you do that.

Let me know how it goes. I'm dreading doing it when I get Vista.

Good luck,

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Sun May 24, 2009 2:01 am

Stu, I installed IL2 with Mods on the Vista64 Laptop and had no issues other than that dam UAC, once that was disabled I actually began to almost, kinda, like Vista.

All I did was;
Step 1. Disable UAC (Doing this make Vista almost act like XP)
Step 2. run "a.exe " to install. (IL2 installed with out problems)

As for Windows 7 I'll wait till the hoard buys it up and then I'll be shadowing the forums to see how things are going. If I remember correctly when Vista was released, within a week the trouble shooting forums were filling up with complaints. XP was released for almost 3 years before I purchased it.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun May 24, 2009 2:10 am

Sounds like a plan Pat. Thanks for the info.

I'm half-way finished collecting all the myriad parts of my new build. My newest decision is to get the NVidia GTX 275 instead of the GTX 285. It's over a hundred dollars cheaper, you loose only a few fps and getting a second one in SLI, after I save up for Duxford, should handle anything for the next few years.

So, will we see you this Sunday or next Thursday. I'm missing all the ehs? and oots!

Stu

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun May 24, 2009 8:59 am

Vista running fine and smooth here too.
Got the 64 bit Version, as I put a 64bit CPU on my mainboard.

In first tests of the Windows 7 RC, 7 was confirmed to be slightly better than Vista, but still slower than XP.

I would buy Vista though, cause XP is outdated and Older software and driver issues might come with 7.
Powerful machines like in todays times don't have trouble running Vista

Like Pat say's disable the UA thing, and install Vista Service Pack 1 & 2 to ensure you are updated and save.
Image ImageImage
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue May 26, 2009 6:03 am

Sounds like you'll have a killer machine, Stu.

Another tip for Vista: Turning OFF all the eye candy will mean great leaps in performance!!!!!

Anyway, you've never struck us as the artistic type. ;)

Good on ya and good luck! ^:)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 am

I've preordered Windows 7, mainly to correct the biggest mistake I made when I built my new PC- got a 32 bit OS (Vista).

A lot of people were having issues with 64 bit and IL2 and it put me off. I've now pretty much got a handle on Vista but with W7 round the corner (and a b. good price on Amazon) it doesn't seem to make much sense going for the older OS. For me it will give me an instant upgrade in accessing the 4Gb of memory I already have and I hear its a lot more streamlined than Vista.

What did you decide in the end Stu ?
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:16 pm

This was a toughy Richard. Aw hell, with my decision-making skills everything was tough. The discounted price of Vista 64 and the special deal for 7 made it easier though. I bought Vista 64 two weeks ago for about $85 and if you ordered before the middle of July Seven was only $50, so I bought both. I got Vista in the mail while I was flying on Wednesday. The mailman knocked so loudly that the dog went nuts. My daughter got angry at the barking dog and started yelling at him and when I turned away from the game to see what all the ruckus was I plowed into the ground. I hope this isn't an omen. [-o<

All I need now are just the two cheapest things and the build will be begun; the motherboard and the cpu. ... huh? they're how much dear? ...

GAH!