I want to make skins

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

I want to make skins

Post by :FI:Ghost » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Ok, I've made a couple of skins over the past few months but as I am not very good with skining I had to use templates from the internet with already determined layers and stuff. Now I want to skin some planes for which I cannot find templates online so I can only use the void skin file in the game.

Now, my problem is that I don't know how to make layers of already drawn lines, weather effects etc. on the planes. Can anyone teach me, or better yet, point me to a location where I could find these answers?
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Everything you wanted to know about skinning but were afraid to ask

Take a look around Simmers Paintshop site.

If you've got Photoshop DL the remove white and remove black plugins. Use these to extract layers from yhe void.

Also DL "Bright" to put your finished skin back into IL2 resolution (256 bitmap 1024x1024).

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:03 pm

Thank you Sneaky, you are the best...
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:29 pm

..and while you're there check out the Scale Modelling thread. You'll see the old AB's 3D model of an Argentine Pucara I was working on. Sorry couldn't help ad-libbing. :lol:
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:43 pm

What paint program do you use, Ghost?

I recommend PaintshopPro (PSP) by Jasc 7, 8 or 9.

I don't recommend Corel (old Jasc) 10.

You can get a copy of any of these for ~$20.

~~~

PhotoShop (PS) can do a few more things than PSP, but it costs $600+!!!

I've seen it for ~$100 but not too often.

~~~

GIMP is free and does a lot. It has a confusing file system, but is still good.

~~~

The best thing to do is read all the tutorials Sneaky mentioned and then dl other folk's templates and see how they do it. Skinners are sometimes reluctant to release their better templates so if you can't find one that you want let me know. Through the years I've done templates for 90% of the aircraft.

The Painter's forum at the UBI Sanatorium is a good place to ask questions if you're stuck. Check THIS :FI: forum too.

good luck!

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:22 pm

I have Photoshop ver. 8.0.. I've visited the link Sneaky gave me, and I have already learned to make templates, so thanx for the offer.. I've spent this afternoon learning things from those instructional videos.. It's very good and easy to understand (especially since I've been using photoshop over the past 5 years, only not that frequently). As soon as I finish my work (and I am currently working on Yak-1 since that's the plane I currently fly in my offline campaign) I will post it here for everyone to see..

In the meantime, here are some of my old works. Actually those were the first couple of wallpapers I made using Photoshop some 6 years ago when I got my first PC..

This is the wallpaper I made for my friend, back in 2000 when we were flying Novalogic's MiG-29 online:

This is the wallpaper I made for my cousin who was a huge Schumacher fan:

And this is something I also made a long, long time ago:
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:48 pm

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 2171085895

Excellent post at Ubi from Goodwood, applies to skins as well as profiles.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:21 pm

Ghost,

How ya doin' on your skinnin'?

In the Hawks Over Hoorn thread I've posted some of the step-by-step work I do that may help you.

I've left out a few dozen steps, so if you have any questions, ask away.

Falcon

PS: Excellent pics btw!

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:25 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Ghost,

In the Hawks Over Hoorn thread I've posted some of the step-by-step work I do that may help you.

Falcon

Thank you very much. To be honest, I haven't had time lately to do any skinning, I am busy with college and stuff.. And currently I have no inspiration. There is a work in progress but I need to get new inspiration to finish it... I also have another, in my opinion very good, idea for a skin, but also I don't have enough time to ge to that work... Hopefully, I will soon, and as soon as I finish it I will post it here...
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Re:

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:16 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Ghost,

Falcon

Falcon I know this is a old thread but, I'm still skinning stuff here and I can't seem to find this topic you mentioned. My question is how do I get the paint to look less glossy? I've applied weathering effects, in multipule layers with different Opacities. (I'm getting the hang of it) but the end result is still a little glossy for me, should I put the weathering layers over top or under the layer I'm attempting to apply the effect to. I'm currently messing with a MC205, as I find the void easy to work with.

Thanks as always.
Full Metal Ferret

Re: I want to make skins

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Sack

Here is the Hawks Over Hoorn thread. Two ways off the top to make things less sniney; first, don't be timid to reduce the opacity of a layer and second, use texture overlays. A texture overlay is a textured layer you put over everything. ;)

I'll send you some of those in a layered file. Which graphics app do you use? Be very careful with these. You can easily overdo them.

Falcon

:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:20 am

Photoshop 7 is the program I use.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 am

Sent. Let's see some stuff Pat.

Remember, go easy on these. I rarely go over 5-15% opacity with them.

... well, some need more but

... just be careful out there.

;)

F