Strange shadows over water

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Strange shadows over water

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Im having some strange graphics effect over water. I'd had them on my 8600GT and they are still there with the GTX260's (I dont run IL2 in SLI)

Underneath clouds Im getting darker shadows staggering accross the surface of water. At lower alts they aren't there but from 2500m + they are enough to affect being able to see incomming bandits. The game is running very smooth with no stuttering in Perfect landscape and water 2. Everything else is fine

Has anybody else had this and if so were you able to solve it ? I've looked into the Ubi forums and AAA tech help but I cant seem to find a solution.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Strange shadows over water

Post by :FI:Wardog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Have you tried sticking the water effects up to 3 Richard ? I have mine on that and it is fine even though I am running an ATI card.

Normally 2 is recomended for mine but when I tried 3 it sorted out the problem I was having with not being able to see anything against the water.

Wardog
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Scott, I don't have a NVIDA card so I can't help you there but for those of us with ATI cards, try and set your CAT A.I. to "Standard" setting it to off or Advanced really messes things up in IL2, as well check your Open GL triple buffer, I activated mine and the water seems prettier.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions boys.

I've had a play with it and looked at the notes when 'perfect' water was introduced. the higher value water settings brought in moving shadows to simulate the movement of the sea (the higher settings also added wave caps etc). Mine is running water 4 nicely but I dont like the simulated shadows- they dont help when you were looking for bad guys. I've set mine for water 0 so its the shiny water but no cloud/other shadows and for me that suits fine- Im more interested in shooting things down than gazing at the beauty of it all.
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Philistine

;)

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:57 am

Dont worry Stu.

I've got the res set high and 8X AA so your skins look sweet !.
- Willy Wonka.