Bonus Mission 22nd March - Intel

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Bonus Mission 22nd March - Intel

Post by :FI:Nellip » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:43 am

If we have time on Sunday there is a bonus mission (adapted from someones elses, minus several hundred ground objects!!! :lol: ) - based on the classic film "633 Squadron" - briefing is as follows:

Description Spring 1944.

633 Squadron based at Banff, Scotland, flying Mosquito VI (x12), and Spitfire Mk IX's (x4) from Peterhead.

Ok chaps, the strike is on for today. The meteorological bods have assured us that this mist will burn off by the time you reach the target area but there will be a few patches of low cloud, so be careful among the mountains.
Study the recce photographs carefully; you'll see that the target is similar to the practice you've been doing. We want you to knock out the German rocket fuel factory at the end of Langfjord, map ref. M6-8.
It's not an easy task; the factory is built right at the end of the fjord under an overhanging rock. You are to approach along the fjord as close to the deck as you can get. I'm afraid that there are flak nests along the run in, but you'll have to endure these as the ack-ack on the high ground is even heavier. Don't even think of coming in high - you won't make it. Also, you will have to wait until the last second before releasing your bombs, then turn sharply to port in order to climb out of the fjord.
Another thing to remember - keep clear of the fighter airfield at Herdla, map ref. J7-2.
Spitfires from Peterhead will rendezvous with you over the island of Fedjeosen (H4-6) at 09.30 and will provide fighter cover on the run in to the target. On the run in to the target area look for the lighthouse on the island at map ref. K5-2; this marks the beginning of Langfjord. You are to make your attacks in sections of three, spaced at one-minute intervals. If you are successful this could save many lives, but when you study the photographs remember that the Norwegian resistance fighter who took the close-up has already paid with his.

Good luck chaps, I know you can do it.

Mission time: 0920hrs; e.t.a. over target at 0940 hrs.

Olegs stalker

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Bonus Mission 22nd March - Intel

Post by :FI:Wardog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Now I liike the sound of this one mate :D . I might even be persuaded to fly a mossie for this :lol: :lol:

Wardog ^:) :beer: :beer: