Mic jacks won't work on new PC!

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Mic jacks won't work on new PC!

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:49 am

I've tried every trick I know without success. The audio software will recognize the mic whenever I plug it in to either the front or back mic jack, but the [Windows XP] audio hardware test fails every time. Yes the mic does work (on my old PC); and no, the mute switch is not on. Headphones work fine too - machine's only having issues with the microphone. :x

Last night I even spent time on the phone with the EVGA [motherboard company] support folks. They were very friendly & tried their best, but after having me on hold long enough to review all their info & talk to each other about it, all they could really suggest was to reinstall the latest audio drivers. It was baffling to them too. Even though I knew my friend who built this machine had already updated all the drivers, I went ahead & did it again as they asked, but still no luck. ](*,)

The friend who built the PC is away on vacation, or I'd be asking him first, but thought I'd post & see whether any of you'd be willing to meet me on TS some evening this week & give it your best shot? I can't do it Thursday, but other nights should be workable if after 8:00 PM CST / 0200Z. Thanks for the consideration, guys!

Blue2
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Re: Mic jacks won't work on new PC!

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:35 am

Can you confirm Windows mixer / sound settings.
desktop stereo ?
5 channel surround sound?
type of drivers (eg AC97 etc.)
any BIOS options.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks for the quick response Sneaky.
I'll try & answer you, but it might be easiest to meet on Teamspeak if possible. I will not work this Friday so am available anytime that day if you are.

OK, to your questions. My new system's motherboard came with integrated audio system, and the software is Realtech Audio (hopefully that answers the question about the type of drivers? Unfamiliar with "AC97" - is that a name, a term, or what?).
I have 5.1 surround selected in the Realtech Sound Manager - their name for its "control center" - which matches my speaker system.
I went through the BIOS just 1/2 hour ago looking for anything obvious. There is an option to turn high definition audio on or off (set to on). There were no obvios options related to microphone audio that I could tell, but I'm very much a novice when it comes to working with BIOS. That's about as much as I can think to say in reply for now. Hope I've answered you properly.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:52 am

Mine went ape as well. Would not work with either the onboard sound or the Audigy card. :roll:

The way I fixed it was to fire up an old WIn2K machine and get it back on the network. Then I installed T/S on it and VOILA!! It WORKS!!! AND, AND, AND it doesn't compete for CPU cycles with my game machine. :lol:

THEN on the day I think I'll be able to talk and fly, everybody that was on T/S that day heard me say "BEUNAS TARDES!! PINCHE GRINGOS!!" and then my ISP took a dump all afternoon.

Plus the plumbing repair I had been working on didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped. PVC is great to build with but not much fun to repair. Back to the drawing board on that project. :| :doubt:

Good luck getting yours sorted.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:37 am

I use the realtek onboard audio on my machine and had a hell of a lot of trouble getting it up and running but found that it worked once I disabled the "stereo Mixer" function in the recording options. Once I did that I was able to test teamspeak using the voice recording feature and adjust the sound levels there to the required amounts.

Don't get too much trouble with it now thankfully

Wardog ^:) :beer: :beer:
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:50 pm

I had realtek/AC97 (same thing really) drivers on my PCI card.
Never used onboard sound and have it disabled in BIOS.

For TS and other recording mic should be selected in realtek mixer (same as in windows mixer) under "REC" and muted in "PLAY" of course ot there'll be howlin feedback.

My current lash up (having gone back to a SB LIve as the other card was causing crashes) involves using a guitar tuner plugged to mic in. The built in mic works a treat and I can plug any 1/4Jack into that (bypassing mic)
Can meet on TS ..Just one question...
If mic jack not working?. . . . How?

Guess we can use chat option.

anyhow I'll be "gone Fishing from 21:30Zulu

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)