The best new motherboard?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Pike
Boardie

The best new motherboard?

Post by :FI:Pike » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 am

Dear All,
I have just got a dual core duo very cheap but realise that my AA8X fatality motherboard will not run with it. So, to keep up with the times I thought I would get a good board that will last me up until my main upgrade. But, to avoid having to reload windows and so all of IL-2 plus the mods again twice it would be sensible to purchase a board that will run well with BoB and RoF so then I could just add new cards and CPU when the time came. So, I am asking advice on which would be the best board to get that will take say 2 graphics cards and a replacement CPU for the duo in a year or so?
Best regards,
Pike.
Gilabran: "Put the bloody thing out!"
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: The best new motherboard?

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi Scott

I don't qualify as one of the squads technical guru's (wait for Sneaky or Moe to come along :D ) but I can tell you what I had delivered yesterday...........

An ASUS Striker Extreme SLI - socket 775 and will cope with Quad Core processors (I bought a Q6600) and SLI for two GPU's.

Now all I have to do is put all the bits together.................. :?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Pike
Boardie

Re: The best new motherboard?

Post by :FI:Pike » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Dear Nellip,
I think I will go for an asus Rampage Formulae as a temporary upgrade. but I will have to get some new DDR2 RAM as that board will not recognise my old DDR2 RAM.
But it will take quad core CPU's and Dual GPU's so that I will do when BoB comes out.
It really irritates me when all the odds and sods start mounting up in cost.....still the DDR2 ram is £50 for 4GB. I will have to change the board again (and reload windows) if I want DDR3 because this board will not take it and that is what I wanted to avoid in the first place, worst luck.
Best regards,
Pike.
Gilabran: "Put the bloody thing out!"