Thrustmaster Afterburner FFB HOTAS

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
loosecannon

Thrustmaster Afterburner FFB HOTAS

Post by loosecannon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:58 pm

Anybody have this setup? What do they think of it? I am all for the super great sticks and all of that, but I have to balance it with the fact that I have other things that are greater financial priorities. So, with that said, is the Thrustmaster Afterburner FFB HOTAS a fair setup?
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Can't say ...

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 am

... since I don´t know have this set up. I´m currently using the Saitek AV8R, a cheap but its money worth stick ...

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
loosecannon

Post by loosecannon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:15 pm

I thought about getting that one, but I am not really a fan of rudder twist sticks. Just a personal preference, though.
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Dude, you mean to tell me you're not using a mouse+keyboard to fly? OMG, n00b! I bet you don't even reverse the vertical axis!

;)

I have an X-52 and for me it's just about the perfect setup but I agree about the twist rudder... as soon as I have some money to burn I think I'll check out the new Saitek pedals, have heard good things about em.

Thrustmaster products feel a bit toyish and tend to be overpriced for what they are. My X-52 wasn't cheap but was still good value, even moreso if you were to buy one today. After getting used to the programming software I don't think I could live without all the extra HOTAS functions; it's a true HOTAS controller, unlike the Afterburner. That said, I've never used a FFB stick, maybe that's the clincher. Does it vibrate when the plane crashes? Cause I don't think I could handle that much vibration..........
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
loosecannon

Post by loosecannon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:19 pm

:FI:Moog wrote:Dude, you mean to tell me you're not using a mouse+keyboard to fly? OMG, n00b! I bet you don't even reverse the vertical axis!

;)

I have an X-52 and for me it's just about the perfect setup but I agree about the twist rudder... as soon as I have some money to burn I think I'll check out the new Saitek pedals, have heard good things about em.

Thrustmaster products feel a bit toyish and tend to be overpriced for what they are. My X-52 wasn't cheap but was still good value, even moreso if you were to buy one today. After getting used to the programming software I don't think I could live without all the extra HOTAS functions; it's a true HOTAS controller, unlike the Afterburner. That said, I've never used a FFB stick, maybe that's the clincher. Does it vibrate when the plane crashes? Cause I don't think I could handle that much vibration..........
I actually pilot my plane with willpower!! :shock:

Actually, I am replacing an old Logitech stick. I wanted something that was HOTAS, and I wanted Force Feedback to add to the immersion. The reason I am looking at the Afterburner is that it is FFB, has some basic HOTAS and is not over $100. I looked at the Saitek X-52, but it doesn't have FFB, and I really like having the feedback from the controls. I don't need a HOTAS to do everything. I can press a couple of buttons before take-off and landing.

With that said, if Saitek did make a FFB X-52, then I think I would have to save a few extra pennies for one. I just wanted to know if people found that the Afterburner was at least a solid stick to use, or if it was going to break in a month.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:17 pm

My Saitek Evo FFB is still giving good service after nearly 2 years. Well worth considering if you're on a budget. It still uses the twist rudder, but a simple conversion of some old racing pedals patched into an old joystick works well enough for me.

See if you can find a store that has both and compare.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

I've...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:54 pm

...never had a FFB stick, so I don't miss anything there.

But I've had very good luck with the Saitek products. Started with the X-36 HOTAS system. When wore that out, finances limited me to the ST-290 Twist Stick (worth the $20.00!), but I now have the X-52 Pro Hotas Control System and Pedals. Some serious Googling found a complete set for under $350, including shipping.

The pedals have a friction adjustment and toe-brakes. plus yaw operation is very realistic, unlike racing pedals.

Financial limitations considered, if you can live without the Hotas try the Evo FFB with a pedal set.

You won't be sorry!
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:18 am

I'm no help either... I've never had FFB and I've only ever used Saitek, with the exception of one CH stick that I absolutely loved... But I got poorer and had to "settle" for Saitek after it broke. The X-52 and Saitek ruddder pedals are a great buy for the money. But if your main concern is FFB, then they obviously aren't the stick/rudder combo for you.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
loosecannon

Post by loosecannon » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:31 pm

Well, it looks like this is a Saitek place. It still remains to be seen what I will get. There are so few reviews of the Afterburner, and they are mixed reviews. That scares me a little bit. Saitek seems to be a known entity. It would be cool if you could get the EVO and the X-52 throttle as a unit.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:09 pm

loosecannon wrote:Well, it looks like this is a Saitek place. It still remains to be seen what I will get. There are so few reviews of the Afterburner, and they are mixed reviews. That scares me a little bit. Saitek seems to be a known entity. It would be cool if you could get the EVO and the X-52 throttle as a unit.
They are bringing this out:-
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:12 pm

I just got that yesterday. Cord's a bit short. Seems functional enough. Easy to set up and program. Good tension on the throws. Works perfectly well along with the CH HOTAS. Certainly gives the old desk a more cockpity feel what. Anyway I think I'd be sure to get everything else first. You won't 'need ' this for awhile.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 pm

If you hang on a few months you can get a truly next generation control system:

Early rumours say the single fire button is fully programmable and features both ON and OFF modes.

:lol:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
loosecannon

Post by loosecannon » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:16 pm

Something that classy must be expensive. I think I could afford to pay two bills for that, but I would bet it would be close to 3 bills. Quality doesn't come cheap. :roll:
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 pm

does that thing come with rudder pedals?
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:21 pm

:FI:Mikester wrote:does that thing come with rudder pedals?
It can be bought separately, but comes with new flight yoke (pedals extra).