Hey Sneaky

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Hey Sneaky

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:13 am

My CPU is fried so I'm shopping.. :?
Any input on this puppy? Seems to be a late Prescott 478 so I'm hoping the heat issues aren't as bad as the wife's 2.8G Prescott. Read somehwere it's actually a 64 bit chip except the 64 bit part is disabled. :roll:

If they're any good, I may buy 2.
http://www.stalliontek.com/ProductDetai ... 00%2DSL8JZ
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:47 am

Spec wise it should be up to the job, but I'm more familiar with AMD stuff.

I'd think a business like fan and heatsink should keep everything at a reasonable temp. ( I mean it's not as though you live in Trinidad is it? :badgrin: )

Maybe Moe or Doc could shed more light things.

Hope to see you one Sunday soon then.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:05 pm

If you have no choice but to stick with socket 478, that is a fine chip. It is not 64-bit however as I am fairly certain there are no 64-bit socket 478 CPUs. The price is reasonable especially given that 478 is dried up in the market.

If you can swing it, you could probably upgrade your CPU/MOBO for less than $150 and get a socket 775 instead.
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:54 pm

I agree with Sneaky and the Doc.

You've pretty much reached the end of the 478 road but this chip is an excellent choice in terms of bang/buck. These latest revisions are apparently a little better in terms of heat and power draw.

However, as the Doc said, you could move up to an entry-level s775 system for about $300 including chip,mobo and RAM. Although then you'd be thinking about a new graphics card to get the most from the new system, and then a new PSU to keep everything happy, the price could quickly mount up towards $600. Although you would have a nice upgrade path through all the dual and quad core Intel CPUs that will fit the 775 socket.

Pros and cons to every choice.

Moe
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:46 am

I know the 478 stuff is outdated. So am I. :lol:

I've got a load of $$ spent elsewhere that can't be applied to the latest and lodest stoof.

Upside is there is a LOT of good, fast, older stuff out there for not so much $$. Big AGP cards are getting rather reasonable these days.

Anyway, I've got the beast together and if it had a functioning CPU it might accidentally boot. :roll:
As far temps? We've got the same temps here now that he has in Trinidad. However, I do have central air conditioning. ;) I hope the very unusual monsoon season we've been experiencing this year will slow down. Last year it was extreme drought, this year extreme wet.. FFS.

Besides that, I've got a right of way mowing contractor with 16 new tractors, 5 new trucks and 15 weedeaters and 33 guys on his crew and he can't work due to the waterlogged roadsides. It needs to dry up so we can get the jungle back off the roads..

Hopefully, I'll be flying again soon. :shock:

Thanks for the input. :beer:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:11 pm

As far temps? We've got the same temps here now that he has in Trinidad. However, I do have central air conditioning. Wink
Hey, I got central air-conditioning. I have a fan in the middle of the room (central) and a bucket of ice behind the fan (air-condition unit). The temp has stabilized a bit so I can play Faces of War and Attack on Pearl Harbor, but alas, I fear the rig won't last too long.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!