F16 Fighterstick Gone Pear-Shaped

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

F16 Fighterstick Gone Pear-Shaped

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:18 pm

Hi guys- I already have sent in an email to CH about this but I thought I'd check in with the local experts; The X-Axis (left/right) of my Fighterstick USB has stopped responding as it should- very slow and sluggish, sometimes never returning to center (time for a little blue pill?). Y-Axis seems fine. Any ideas on what the cause could be?
I have no previous experience dealing with CH's tech support- has anyone here? Are they good about doing RMAs, etc.?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:05 am

Hi Murph,

have you gone to the CH forums?, there are quite a few folk there that can help, as for the tech help, they have a good reputation for RMA.
Sorry I cant be of help with your problem it is'nt anything I'm familiar with.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 am

Hi Murph,

have you gone to the CH forums?, there are quite a few folk there that can help, as for the tech help, they have a good reputation for RMA.
Sorry I cant be of help with your problem it is'nt anything I'm familiar with.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:58 am

The symptoms sound like a dirty pot on that axis; in which case a can of compressed air or switch cleaner ought to do the trick. (place some tissue around other parts, give a few good squirts into the pot and work the axis a few times.Check for improvement and repeat just to fully clean)

I guess you've already checked the calibration.

It's possible (if the switch cleaner does'nt work) that theres a partial break in one of the wires from the pot to the board. you can check this by gently moving the wire and looking for a response on the test/calibration window or in the following utility:- (and pray your good with a soldering iron)

Great utility for setting/checking Joystick settings.
Il2 JoyControl

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions, mates! I spoke to Greg and he suggested I try loading a different profile and calibrating the stick from that profile- it seems to have worked! Apparently something in the profile gets corrupted?
I got ahold of someone in tech support at CH by email and he says he will send me an RMA # if I need it. The repair is free, I just would need to pay shipping. Sneaky, the stick is still under warranty and if I open the back and start messing around in there I'll void the warranty, so I think I'll leave it alone for now, though I do appreciate the suggestion.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."