Ach! I give up!

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Ach! I give up!

Post by AltarBoy » Fri May 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Been trying to lower the temp on my X800 Pro card to no avail. I even re-installed the older 7.1 drivers. It sits at 60 degree Celsius with no apps running. :cry: If anyone knows what to do give the old AB a shout.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Fri May 04, 2007 8:40 pm

Alterboy,

I think something must be wrong with your card, cards cooler or computer cooling.

I know the ambeint temperature in Trinidad is a lot higher than here in sunny Scotland but my C/H system is set to 24 deg C (75F approx) and my card sits at a steady 43/44C only rising to 55-60 when running IL2.

I honestly think your problems are card cooling related, although I don't know how to help you. Get your Graphics card checked out me thinks is the way to go.

Can you borrow one of your m8's cards to try out or do you have an old card you can put in and test against.

Probably not much help but something to think about and try to discount.

Problems gets solved by a painstaking process of elimination.

Only trying to help.

Baldylegs.
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri May 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks for the try. I can't get my hands on any other cards now, but it really may be the card itself. I'm going to take it out and reinsert it again. It may not be slotted properly.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat May 05, 2007 12:02 am

... I can't get my hands on any other cards now ...
Sounds like you need a new dealer.

I'm going to take it out and reinsert it again. It may not be slotted properly.
Now you're just getting nasty.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed May 09, 2007 2:05 pm

AB

Don't know what cooling your GC uses, but before mine died I think the fan that sits on the heat sink had stopped working.

If yours is of that type you should be able to see if it is working when you switch on the machine?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed May 09, 2007 4:11 pm

maybe just try replacing the cooler itself, the fan, or so. there are some GC coolers out there you can install yourself.

M
ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Wed May 09, 2007 9:48 pm

The heat sink fan works ok but the thermal paste is gone. However the overheating comes from the GC itself. The fan on the GC works and I also added two more fans. Still it sits at 61 degrees C. We've been having the worst heatwave here (sometimes the temp is 37 degrees C) so that may contribute to it.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed May 09, 2007 9:54 pm

:FI:AltarBoy wrote:The heat sink fan works ok but the thermal paste is gone. However the overheating comes from the GC itself. The fan on the GC works and I also added two more fans. Still it sits at 61 degrees C. We've been having the worst heatwave here (sometimes the temp is 37 degrees C) so that may contribute to it.
Sounds like you and your rig need some air-con mate.

It was 10 degrees and raining in the UK today - my new graphics card is not overheating :lol: but I have to put up with the lousy weather.
Olegs stalker

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Wed May 09, 2007 11:23 pm

Man, what I'd give to get some rain. There was a small lake nearby now its just a dried up mud hole. I've never felt this much heat. The sun is so bright it almost blinds you. And yes I think some air-conditioning is required. When I move into the new place I'm going to get one of those splitter units and install it in the rec room. I miss playing my games these days. Been flying that UH-1B chopper in Whirlwind Over Vietnam but have to leave it when the beeps sounds from my CPU.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Wed May 09, 2007 11:59 pm

:?

Get an old refrigerator. and put your PC inside it, run the cables and stuff out through a few stragic holes in the side and leave a shelf open for beer storage.

Oh, make sure the fridge works before you get it and after you poke holes in the side or wherever, and don't forget to turn it on. :badgrin:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 am

Oh, Unka Willie you just fully described a good old Texan air-condition unit. Should work here though, erm, will that be a Whirlpool or a GE fridge? :lol:
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

You could always try this

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu May 10, 2007 7:28 pm

Zalman cooler

It wont keep your Guiness punch cool though :lol:

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu May 10, 2007 9:18 pm

Just checked the site Sneaks, I thought Cleveland was in Ohio not in the UK. Boy, my geography teacher must've been smoking pot again. :lol: