Some Theatre of War Screenies I've just taken

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Some Theatre of War Screenies I've just taken

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:45 pm

A really great game.

more screenies here

ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:03 am

Nice. Don't care much for the shrubbery, but the model details and the human details look spot on. Like how you can zoom in on ground level and view stuff. Might be a game for my pal to get me. :)
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 am

Nevermind the screenshots , how is the gameplay. The demo had some major flaws that were gamebreakers for me, so I am not sure if the real version is any better. Please advise.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Game is a bit imbalanced or I just play it the wrongway....I started German 1939 campaign and got whacked. though the battle of Mokra wasnt easy for the Germans ,as I know from history lessons.
Infantry is a bit neglected, tanks rule, arty rules. This actually is no problem for me as I love tanks, but in general - could be done better. It has some bugs here and there, but I think it is great. Battle scale is a bit too small, I mean you should be getting more units, but again - no need to have more infantry units as buildings are not enterable (this has been known for a long time). I'm gonna trythe USSR campaign, which is one of my favorite Theatres. We'll see;) Anyway, I suppose some patch will follow the game's release quite soon;)
ImageImageImage
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:06 pm

This is probably a gem. I love strategy so eye-candy certainly isn't paramount. However, those screens don't portray much atmosphere/immersion to me. IL-2 rivers look - well - retarded. That user interface is similar to IL-2's boring one. The typical gamer is more likely to pick up a game like Company of Heroes than this title IMHO (never played COH btw).

Airplanes look nice but this isn't an airplane sim. Soldiers are not that impressive. But again maybe the strategy element makes up for the lack of graphics. Thanks for sharing Macca. It's a title I will be watching, though the only thing I bother with is IL-2 at the moment. Might get back into MTW2 if they ever release a patch to fix some problems.

TS!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:52 pm

I agree with what Tactical said as well. I own CoH and must say that while it is very arcadey, it is much better put together at the moment. I will also be watching this one closely to see if a patch fixes my gripes with the game at the moment.

Right now, I am playing the heck out of Supreme Commander with friends. It is IMHO the best RTS on the market at the moment. Very well put together and fast paced with an easy to use interface. If anyone has it, let me know as I play every night.

Oh, and as soon as CH sends me back that damn throttle I will be back online with IL2 as well.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:06 pm

But the Germans are dressed funny in that game Doc. ;)

And you say you play it every night. [-X I called the CH folks and they said your stuff went out weeks ago. [-( :D

TS!
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:14 pm

I keep seeing Supreme Commander in the shops, I look at it and it looks back... with words like that Dr Strangelove I might have to buy it :roll:

must resist... must not buy... resist...resist.. think about the rabbits...

hope I don't see it again, I may just lose all will power like always and come back with another game for my oversized underplayed collection :oops:
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm still with Frontlines: Fields of Thunder. Love the pyrotechnics like in Blitzkrieg. But it lacks long range artillery and the fighter-bombers seem to only go for soft targets instead of armour. The medium bombers pack a wallop, though. I think I'll go back to the older Blitzkrieg series, those were fun. I enjoyed company of heroes a lot though I didn't find it particularly arcade. But that game was the best looking I've ever seen.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Yeah, SC is great, I really cannot say enough about it. Having been in development for something like 7 years, it damn well better be good I guess.

System requirements are kind of steep, but if your rig can handle it, I would say it is money well spent. I cannot speak for the single player mode, since I never played it, but MP is killer.