New skin packs for selected campaigns ...

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

New skin packs for selected campaigns ...

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:12 am

In an effort to cut down on lag in the Sunday co-ops the mission designers/servers are going to try using just the FIDefault skins for a while.

Ardmore would like a Russian skin pack for his campaign with just the default FI skins. I will organize the ac he wants into a single folder for d'l before Sunday. If anyone wants to correct or improve their Russian skins let me know. I'll be fixing my IL-2 up a bit and try to get things together as soon as possible.

Ardmore and Rabit are also working on an Italian/African campaign that will need a similar skin pack.

Any thunks on the subject?

Remember NOT to use custom pilots in your cockpits. They apparently cause lag too and members are forgetting to use a default pilot.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 am

I think I've only got one Russian, and I'm happy with it, but I'll double check.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Falcon will markings be on/off mate? If on I think they will interfere with the insignia on the skins. Folks can turn markings off of course, one just needs to be looking for Russian stars and Irish decals when ID friendly aircraft.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:24 pm

So far ...

for the Italian/Norf African campaign ...

P-38J, P-39 d-2, P-40m, A-20C

~~~

Tac,

urm ...

Yeah, some in game markings interfere wiff our markings. The IL-2 is a mess, each type has stars on the tail or stars on the fuselage or no stars and numbers on the tail or not on the tail but stars next to the numbers on the tail and then there's the ones wiff the number only on the fuse ...

ak!

So, if we're gonna use only FIDefault (00) skins we'll prolly see what's best for each plane. For most of the IL-2's that's prolly, MARKINGS OFF. Other ac may fit in fine. Feedback from skin users would be helpful for that.

Fa08lc*on

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:33 pm

Falcon

For "The Goths Ride East" we are off to Kiev next and aircraft are just LaGG3 and IL2 - probably just the next two sessions.

After that we go to the Crimea and I will have to look up what we need for those and get back to you.

If we use just default skins can we still enable squad numbers to appear so we can distinguish who is who for screenshots etc?

Cheers

Nellip
Olegs stalker

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:06 pm

:FI:Nellip wrote:... If we use just default skins can we still enable squad numbers to appear so we can distinguish who is who for screenshots etc. ...
It depends on the aircraft. Some ac, (using the IL2 in game markings), have just a number that may or may not interfere w/the Irish rounds. Like I said above, the IL-2 has a problem w/that; the LaGG? who knows. I'll check in a mo.

Thanks for the wee list,

Falcon

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Here are all the iterations of VVS markings for the IL-2's and LaGG's from the game.

The upper wing roundel is rarely obscured, but all other markings aren't as lucky.

F

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:37 pm

It's getting very involved now, what about Tacticals solution of friendly only 3 digit squad number icons?

I had some thought about using Il2 mat manager for FI markings ( but I cant get it working in 4.08 yet and haven't had time to tinker). Also whether re-naming the Void.bmp and saving a default FI (Blank) skin as Void.bmp. (Still a theory m but that might get around the net cache thing)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 am

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:It's getting very involved now, what about Tacticals solution of friendly only 3 digit squad number icons?

I had some thought about using Il2 mat manager for FI markings ( but I cant get it working in 4.08 yet and haven't had time to tinker). Also whether re-naming the Void.bmp and saving a default FI (Blank) skin as Void.bmp. (Still a theory m but that might get around the net cache thing)
Absolutely Sneaky. What you haven't tried this yet mate? Seemed like such a brilliant solution (if it works). The icon thing is a good suggestion; however Genosse doesn't fly with icons if I remember correctly, so it wouldn't help him with the photos (unless someone sent him their track).

Sneaky please try out your suggestion. That could solve the issue.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:01 am

I like the idea of short friendly icons to identify who is who - we can use the default FI skins without markings.

Anyone else have a view?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:31 am

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:Absolutely Sneaky. What you haven't tried this yet mate? Seemed like such a brilliant solution (if it works). The icon thing is a good suggestion; however Genosse doesn't fly with icons if I remember correctly, so it wouldn't help him with the photos (unless someone sent him their track).
There´re no problems with icons for me that show the squad numbers only since I can retouch them away quite easily.

But tell me again why is it important to recognize who is who while flying? To be honest I´ve some real troubles doing that while skin download is on and the custom skins are visible ... even with my new rig ...

My two Euro cents plus the two previous ones make four ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:44 am

:FI:Genosse wrote:

But tell me again why is it important to recognize who is who while flying? To be honest I´ve some real troubles doing that while skin download is on and the custom skins are visible ... even with my new rig ...
So we know who were shooting at on re-starts :badgrin:

Oh , and some wingman stuff.

Anyone who wants to try this in mat manager, I've uploaded this:-
http://endlager.net/fis/downloads/desig ... 0of%20.zip

You just need to back up one of the mat manager files and replace it with this (using the same name of the file replaced)