Tips for skinning.

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
Green
Boardie

Tips for skinning.

Post by Green » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:54 am

I'm kinda new to the whole skinning thing and i need some advice...
i basicly don't know anything 'bout it.

And witch program is a good to make skins in? I have Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro XI.

G
Stop, turn, take a look around the world is only lights and sounds.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: Tips for skinning.

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:14 am

Green wrote:... I have Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro XI ...
Well heck Green, you're half-way there!

PS and PSP7/8/9/X are the two most common programs for skinnin'.

Also get BRITE

and if you want something called "remove white". You can prolly get the info about that from the UBI "Paint ..." forum.

Start with the aircraft void on the bottom layer and start ... ummm, the technical term is "messin' 'roun' wiff it". Add layers of lines, rivets ... rivetsrivetRIVETSRIVETS!!! ... errr sorry. Just a reflex.

r-rivets, hatches, details and paint ...

When you're finished with your 24 bit (or whatever) layered drawing, BRITE will reduce it to 8 bit. Eight bit .bmp pics are what the game reads.

From then on it's loading up the file (skin) into your game, selecting the aircraft with that skin and flying it to see where there are errors or where improvements can be made and back to your paint program to fix it and back to the game and back to the graphics program ad infinitum until extreme boredom, insanity, or dead occur.

Go to Flying Legends, the UBI paint forum or any of the other skin warehouses to see how others have done it.

When you've gotten that far, come back here and we'll go to the next step ... Heavy Medication and Marriage Counciling.

Falcon

EDIT: I see you said PSPXI. I'm not familiar with that version. It may be Corel's newest paint product. Corel isn't as good as Jasc in building a good layered paint program, so it may not work as well as PSP7/8/9 and X. I THINK what happened is that Jasc did 7/8 and 9 and Corel acquired X from Jasc, screwed it up a bit and then stamped it's name on it. XI might be great, I just have no experience with it.

Confused?

Me too ... beer?

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.