So you thought XP was bad -

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

So you thought XP was bad -

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:27 pm

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:41 pm

yep, think i will stick with my XP home for as long as they allow me too :)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Gonna Wait as LONG as Possible!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:20 pm

There's been a lot of negative comment in a lot of places.

The Windows "One Care" package really cracks me up. :lol:

May as well let the fox guard the henhouse. :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:34 pm

Well I have Vista64 on the way as we speak. Will let you guy know what the story is. I just hope I can install IL2 on it still.
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:17 pm

I never understood why OSX looks so gorgeous with only 150MB of RAM and VISTA requires an entire GB just to sit there, looking at you. The only functionality I need is a window that leads me to IL-2. Everything else is ridiculous.
eye hammer hue jury tarred
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:24 pm

:FI:Gurkesaft wrote:... The only functionality I need is a window that leads me to IL-2. Everything else is ridiculous.

hear-hear!

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:55 pm

:FI:Gurkesaft wrote:I never understood why OSX looks so gorgeous with only 150MB of RAM and VISTA requires an entire GB just to sit there, looking at you. The only functionality I need is a window that leads me to IL-2. Everything else is ridiculous.
Not that I am saying M$ knows what they are doing, but your Vista system actually learns your program habits and will look like it is using a lot of RAM when it is really not. Vista has Prefetch and other things working to try to speed up applications.

But I get what you are saying. Since I went 64bit, I did also decide to go with 4GB Ram this time around...er.... just in case. :D
Badger
Postmaster

Post by Badger » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Hoepfully Vista will recognise all of that 4GB for use. At the moment XP doesn't, it keeps 25% of it tucked away whether we like it or not. :?
:FI:Badger
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 pm

My upcoming rig will have 4 Gigs RAM also. But I'm gonna wait awhile until buying Vista.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:33 pm

:FI:Badger wrote:Hoepfully Vista will recognise all of that 4GB for use. At the moment XP doesn't, it keeps 25% of it tucked away whether we like it or not. :?
That is due to the 32-bit limitation of the operating system. 64-bit does not have that problem.
Badger
Postmaster

Post by Badger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Fantastic - that's worth knowing and possibly me upgrading! Thanks Doc.

How's the game demo coming along? Are we allowed to know the focus/genre etc. or is it top secret?! :-#
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Something's odd Doc. I mean in another thread M$ is giving away their OneCare and everyone is grabbing it (or so it would seem), but mention a program (Vista) that costs some coin and it's all bad. Double-standard maybe? :-k No, I didn't think so either. :lol:

Anyway I can’t think of any other company I would want to make my OS. Do you think other companies wouldn’t embed their stuff in their OS? And don’t get me started with Linux. While I don’t completely trust Apple’s chairman, I mean the lad always wears jeans, I wouldn’t mind ditching all PCs for Macs, provided all my games properly worked.

I am personally surprised that we haven't heard about a lot of real issues with Vista (those 5 reasons are lame in my opinion). Perhaps the delay was worth the wait. In any event I will not be upgrading my current rig to Vista since I am limited to 1 GB of RDRAM with this old Dell machine. My next one will likely have 4 GB also. Looking forward to the 64-bit architecture and the pretty interface of Vista.

Doc are you buying a DX10-compatible video card or waiting?

Tact - "Bill Gates fanboy?" - S!
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:09 pm

I just wanna know why it is almost twice the price in the UK as it is in teh US
It's not clear where these figures come from, as retail prices for Vista vary. For example, according to the recommended retail prices on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, Vista Ultimate is pegged at $399.99 (203 pounds) in the United States, and $722.85 (369.99 pounds) in the United Kingdom.
Explaining away such a huge disparity in selling prices isn’t easy, surely it can’t just be old-fashioned greed, a ‘charge what you think you can get’ marketing policy? Steve Dunn, Microsoft’s finance director should know, so I asked him to help me out, and here’s what he said: “Microsoft wants to ensure transparent pricing for all its customers. Although the current dollar/pound exchange rate is high comparative to the beginning of 2006 it's not unprecedented in the context of fluctuations over the past few years. Other factors impact the price of Microsoft products, not least the costs incurred in delivering European packaging and settings plus the cost of marketing in many languages. In addition the scale and volume of the US market will drive a price differential.”

Now I don’t know about you, but that didn’t do the trick for me – it seems to leave lots of questions unanswered, such as ‘why does it cost so much to deliver European packaging?’. I have my Windows XP Professional edition pack in front of me, and try as I might, I haven’t been able to find anything specifically European on or in it at all. In fact the leaflet inside directs me to telephone numbers in the US and Canada if I want support
G
I fear no beer

Badger
Postmaster

Post by Badger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:30 pm

Good call Mr G.

Well, car manufacturers have called the UK 'Treasure Island' for years, so maybe the ethos is spreading.

:x
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:36 pm

(369.99 pounds) in the United Kingdom
:badgrin: I can buy a new rig for that with Vista installed :!: