unusual F4U nose art design or insignia??

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

unusual F4U nose art design or insignia??

Post by Beowolff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:19 am

though true, i've always put in more study and attention to Army Air Force and true land-based fighters of WW2, i also thought i knew all of the Corsair squadrons and their nose art and or indvidual squadron or personal insignias.. but this one has me baffled. any ideas?

evidently from the Korean war...but i've never come across it before.

a VERY cool design... i'd love a skin like that. any info?

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:28 am

Gimme a week or two and some time to recover from X-mas cheer and I'll give 'er a go. Is there a flatter pic of that snake?

F

EDIT: I found this ...

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:03 am

ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:28 pm

hmmm, nice going...but is that a confirm on the death rattlers? reason i ask is that so far, none of the death rattler squadron's insignias i've turned up are a complete match for the snake in my picture.
though similiar, the colors, style and background are (so far) different from the one on that model plane.

????

perplexing.

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:01 pm

pppp!

it's only a model

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:25 pm

yeah, from looking at the pic, must be a model... (i came across the pic in another forum) but from the wonderful detail.... a very authentic model!

somebody put some real care and consideration into building it, so i would suppose it to be genuine. every detail seems perfect. i can't imagine someone going to that much trouble for an incorrect or guestimated marking or insignia.

though of course, as usual, i could be wrong.

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Yes, it is a scale model. I think the modeler took some liberty on the nose art though.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:17 pm

I recall reading somewhere, that during WWII, a few Navy pilots decorated the noses of their planes, and the "brass" said "GET THAT SH*T OFF THOSE PLANES AND BE DAMNED QUICK ABOUT IT!!!" or words to that effect. I think it was only after WWII that "nose art" became somewhat socially acceptable on Navy/Marine aircraft.

Most of the Navy/Marine stuff only had squadron "art" on the vertical stabs. It was like that in 'Nam. We had squadron art but nothing individual on the planes except the pilot's and the plane captain's names on the bird in letters about 2 inches high.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!