My Troubles

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

My Troubles

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 pm

As those regular Sunday coop attendees know already my system has taken to BSoDing on me, finding the culprit was a right royal pain in the exit part, but methinks it has been solved.

I have an audigy 2 zs as well as onboard sound, the audigy ran all the main sounds while the onboard sound ran my comms, everything ran fine until 3 weeks ago when the troubles started, no particular event started it, no recent driver or hardware installs. Ran diagnostics on the RAM and harddrive, no problems. After a while the crashes happened usually when on comms, I tried uninstalling the audigy and reverting to just the onboard sound, still got the crashes then vice versa, ditto the crashes, then tried doing some tests, playing a song on windows media and running the game at the same time, still the same crashes, by this time I was convinced the problem was sound related. As usual every driver had been uninstalled and new ones loaded, virus checks ran ad nauseum.

The answer as usual was found somewhere between what I had learned and Googling, I disabled the onboard sound via CMOS and used the audigy only and so, after running the same tests that crashed my system everything seems to be ok.

Now that things seem stable other questions come to mind...

1/ was it something I did?
2/ microsoft updates?
3/ driver malfunction?
4/ my motherboard telling me something?
5/ Franks bunny-hopping upsetting my system (see BF2) :)

Vin with fingers crossed
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:41 pm

Hmmm

Something deep in the bowels of Windows keeps muting my mic in the mixer settings. Falcon had a theory that Explorer was messing with his sound the other week.

Never been a fan of onboard sound, Ok for media player and thats about it. I've found problems with them even on old games, so have mine disabled in BIOS

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:01 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:... Falcon had a theory that Explorer was messing with his sound ...

My problem turned out being a bad keyboard. I swapped my $70 uber board with a no-name brand from Valmark for $19.95 und alles ist jetzt gut!

Vin, I hope ya fixed it cuz I need my weekend fix,

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:02 pm

Frank bunny hops?! :shock: I would blame that on it then mate. ;)

Glad to hear about it being fixed.

TS!
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:46 pm

Vin, I hope ya fixed it cuz I need my weekend fix,
Know what you mean Stu, that last one was good, long flight and some action , then home in time for tiffin.

still testing everything, but confident next Sunday is on.

Vin
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Good to know you got it worked out Vin. Looking forward to another one. ^:)
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:10 pm

Some things are ever reliable, death, taxes and computers that you thought were fixed and are actually still broken, such is my lot.
Though something tells me all is well..................watch this space, see y'all on Sunday hear.

Vin the wee easy
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:30 am

Glad to hear you got it sorted mate.

Fingers crossed for Sunday? :D
Olegs stalker