Stupid is as Stupid does.

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Stupid is as Stupid does.

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:39 am

Somehow, sometime, I managed to turn off the Autoplay function of my CD/DVD unit.
Now that I'm re-installing Il-2, I can't get past attempting to install the AEP add-on because I need the Autoplay function to work so the AEP install script will "find" the Il-2FB.exe file in order to proceed with the installation.

I've already checked the properties of my CD/DVD drive in "My Computer". There's supposed to be a place to enable the Autoplay function, but I'll be damned if I can find it there.

Also checked the registry: HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\CDROM
and the Autorun value is already set to "1". "1" means it's supposed to be "on". Riiiiight. :roll:

Now, when I insert the CD it doesn't exactly lock up the PC, but the System Idle process uses about 99% of my CPU cycles, and I have to end the process before I can even regain full function of my mouse. Otherwise everything just hangs.

If I return the Autorun value to "0", that little problem disappears, but then I'm back to square one...no Autorun.

Locating the file using "START>RUN>..." doesn't work. I get the "hourglass" for about 1 second, then nothing.

I'm starting to feel a bit stupid, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I might even get sentimental and say "Thank You!" or something equally ooky. :oops:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:33 am

OK stupid question - Is the CD clean?

An old trick I heard was to eject CD and turn the disc about a quarter turn in the platter and reload it. This sometimes gets around TOC (table of content)/boot sector read errors .

OR :- Turn off PC re-boot and then just click AEP icon?

AND :- Check Registry for previous AEP entries.
Windows Help wrote:To change how your computer handles multimedia content

Open My Computer.
Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.
On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to change.
Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it detects the media type you selected.
Notes

XOX
Your removable storage device must be attached to your computer for it to appear in the My Computer folder.
Related Topics
Mine is set to " . Prompt me each time to choose an action"
(for mixed content)

I can't find/remember any other things to set for this; but my last install went smoothly with these settings.

I cant find anything else in "Device manager" except:-

Primary and secondary IDE channels set to
Use DMA if available - currently DMA mode5
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:34 am

OK stupid question - Is the CD clean?
Check - No Go
An old trick I heard was to eject CD and turn the disc about a quarter turn in the platter and reload it. This sometimes gets around TOC (table of content)/boot sector read errors .
Check - No Go
OR :- Turn off PC re-boot and then just click AEP icon?
Check - No AEP Icon.
AND :- Check Registry for previous AEP entries.
This is first install of freshly formatted HD. No previous AEP registry entries.
Mine is set to " . Prompt me each time to choose an action"
(for mixed content)
Check - Still No Go.
I cant find anything else in "Device manager" except:-

Primary and secondary IDE channels set to
Quote:
Use DMA if available - currently DMA mode5
Check - Still No Go.

Inspected CD for defects. None noted.

Double-checked Windows knowledge base and checked all referenced registry entries. All checked OK.

Also have the latest XP driver for Sony CRX320EE drive.

I'd try the "stump the MS Tech Rep" ploy, but i don't think I could afford the time/$$$...even if I did have a retail version. (Currently have OEM XP, and last I heard I don't quallify for Tech Support).

:-k
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:18 am

Thats :evil:

Getting Icons for other CD's- I guess so if you've installed FB.

CD lens cleaner may be an idea.

Just the one drive I assume?

Can you try the disc on another machine to see if it reads?

Try right click - explore.

See if PF disc reads OK and can offer a merged install.

Tried putting CD in the fridge? (I'm getting desperate for ideas now)

Borrow someone elses AEP :idea: if it's just the AEP disc giving problems

All this and the Complete 4.07 DVD just around the corner.

A shot in the dark , you could try a roll back on CD driver (newer isn't always better.)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:29 pm

Can't you just use Windows explorer to navigat to the CD and click on the execuatable yourself?

**You would have to right click on the CD rom drive in MY COMPUTER and choose explore.
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:18 pm

OK so it does sort the auto run feature (I have it disabled anyway) but expolring the CD just double click the autorun.exe....

G
I fear no beer

Post Maniac General

Thanks for the Responses...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:15 am

Still AOG for Il-2.

Had already tried double-clicking autorun.exe in Explorer and through My Computer. No Luck.

Installed FB on my laptop. Tried to add AEP, but would not install there, either.

Tried install of PF over FB. Installed flawlessly, but Il-2FB.exe will no longer initiate. I assume because AEP was not installed.

It's possible I have a corrupt autorun.exe file on the AEP CD, or damage to the disk small enough I can't see it (My eyes suck anyway).

Any/all other programs with an autorun file installed just fine, so the CD/DVD unit is ruled out as a problem.
And since the only real issue is with the AEP CD I guess I'll have to find another copy of AEP or the Super Duper Game of the Year Gold Edition of Il-2 somewhere to get back flying with m' m8s. :(

:evil:
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:04 am

You are from the US are you not?

I could send you my copy of AEP in the mail this week and you can try that. Just send it back when you are done with it. :)
Post Maniac General

A Grand Gesture!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:24 am

:D

Check your PMs!
Post Maniac General

Update!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:52 pm

After much frustration followed by a couple of very generous offers from Gurb and the DrS, I finally got the thing installed and patched up to 4.05m! \:D/

Just in case anyone else runs into the same issues:

After shutting down walking away from the PC I attempted an installation later the same day. Voila! AEP installed just fine from my original CD! Go figure. :)
RL then intervened and I returned to the PC later to install PF. Now the PF CD was giving me identical problems! :evil:

Testing a theory, I shut down the PC again and waited until this morn to attempt the PF installation. It installed just fine and was followed by successful installations of the mega-patch and PE-2 add-on. :D

Apparently the location of my Combo Drive is not optimal for ventilation/cooling and after extended periods of operation the heat builds just enough to cause it to fail to recognize and/or read a CD.
many peeps don't realize that, though minimal, these units generate their own heat. When combined with heat generated by other components these problems can occur.

Lesson learned. :)