Sound Card Woes

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Sound Card Woes

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:45 pm

I have a SB Live 24bit card which I am coming to the realization is not a tremendous card (hey it was inexpensive and had 5.1). Was getting stuttering echo voices in BF2 and read from several folks to update the drivers, upon doing so the sound for BF2 stopped working, and the audio setup menu gave me an error message about drivers not being loaded and told me to default back to the original game setup. I clicked ok, and just got the same error message over again.

Alright, the drivers didn't install correctly, I will redownload and reinstall, only this time after intallation and a reboot, the computer won't start. I can get to the login screen and then get the windows startup and see the desktop and icons, keeps spooling like it's finishing starting and then...it just clicks off and restarts, and it just cycles like this repeatedly.

I will try a safe boot when I get home and uninstall the SB drivers, hopefully this will solve the issues. Does this sound like the right course of action?

Now...when I get it working again, clearly I will be looking at a new soundcard. For those with BF2, what cards are you using that are supported, 'cause it seems like they don't support much (I've since discovered my SB card is not supported, hence the stutter and no driver in the world will solve the problem). I am wanting inexpensive, but still works with games and 5.1.

Thanks for any help.

Noter
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:06 pm

So your sound is busted at the moment. :-k Say why don't we play some more BF2 then mate, please? [-o< I promise not to sneak up behind you Noter. :badgrin:

OK. Sorry to hear about your woes. I use a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 fine in BF2. Isn't this what you also have? If so it must be a software issue. If not you can check this card out here. It is now referred to as an Audigy 2 Value.

My understanding of audio cards is that for most people the Audigy 2 is fine. In a way Creative messed up because this card offers everything and more for the typical user. The real difference between Audigy 2 and the more expensive Audigy 4 can only be detected with a higher-end speaker system. You have a studio system connected to your PC mate?

I would likely get the Audigy 4 or better with my new rig, especially for increased RAM now on sound cards (and hopefully with an even better 5.1 surround sound system). But if it were me the Audigy 2 Value is still where the action is IMHO.

Got lots of cash from selling dirty diapers? Well waste your money on the X-Fi model that supposedly has been customized for BF2. Check it out here.

And yes do a Safe Boot and uninstall your drivers. Reboot and install first the original drivers, then upgrade to the latest ones. You know you don't need to install the full Creative Labs suite, right? I mean you can just install the drivers if you prefer.

Good luck Matt!

TS!
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:40 pm

for the price, the Audigy 2 Platinum is a good card. it allows you to switch from 5.1 to 6.1 surround speakers and the bracket that mounts on the front of your case is great for plugging in headphones, stereos, and whatever you want audio to come from. it even comes with a remote control for skipping through music tracks and changing between CD/DVD drives. ;)

DS
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:03 pm

If your MB has onboard sound it's best to disable it in the BIOS.
I've found conflicts on several machines due to this.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:41 am

Guess it just needed a woman's touch, Jennifer wanted to know when I fixed the computer...
Uh, I didn't
Well, it's working...

Don't get it, she turned it on and no rebooting or anything, and she said she had sound. Trying it out now, but no sound in games. Still gonna get a new card, but at least the computer is running. Still remove previous software and do a fresh install with new card.

The motherboard sound was disabled earlier, so that conflict had been negated.

Thanks for the help guys.

Noter