AI Tactics

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

AI Tactics

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:02 pm

Interesting to note the difference in tactics employed by AI.

I set up a QMB mission flying a Spitfire against
  • 1 ace 109
    1veteran 109
    2 average 109's
    4 rookie 109's
although tough this was in most cases survivable, even managing the odd kill and safer landing.

On switching planes ie. 109 v's 8 Spits at same skill levels a totally different story ALL of the Spits were all over me, Same thing if I made some flights Hurricanes.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 pm

Aye Sneaky the AI seem to have two different fighting modes(in ace anyway).

They have a shallow climb, gentle turn extend away until they have enough seperation for a split S Bn'Z on your head which they keep repeating until they get you--

Or they just come right after you Tn'B style. I find this easier to deal with if there are up to 3-4 but the number U fought would be hellish hard.

Late war energy planes P47, FW 190-D9 for example stick to the first style as U would expect. Late 109 models as well but the earlier ones can do either. The G2 will extend if your in a slower plane but fly a Mig 3 or La-5 which are closer in speed and they turn on you.

Spits tend to turn and come after you but if you took a slow biplane up they might climb too.

If a plane can fly both styles its speed versus the AI's opponent I think that determines whether the AI Tn'B's or Bn'Z's.

On a side note, you know that annoying rolling, jinking no energy loss moves the AI do when your on there close 6?
Rather than waste ammo on the little s**** pull your nose up when they start it, they instantly stop and climb too, so dont keep climbing, roll 180 right away and pull your nose on to them so your inverted, if you time it right you will see a slow AI trying to pull on you but you get the shot first. If you miss you still get a few more snap shot oppertunities before the crazy moves start again.