55%
No
45%

Total votes: 11
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Assigned Wingman?

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:51 am

As we try to move forward with some changes and increased challenges with Historic Encounters, at the cornerstone of it all is a desire to improve on teamplay. Achieving those moments in the game where our success came from a executed plan of action, and realizing that such planning often comes out of the chaos of a furball.

I think by now most have seen some of the benefits that McBiggles and Noter have in flying together for some months now. I think these benefits go beyond the worry of having to be assigned with McBiggles too. Thanks Noter for your continued sacrifice for the group. :D

In addition to breaking into smaller 4-plane flights within the group, with two flight leaders (one of which is the Squadron leader), I wonder whether there is interest in being assigned a wingman for each Grand Campaign?

Is this too regimental guys? Perhaps it doesn't really matter since we are assigned a wingman every session anyway? If things work well folks could ask to stay together for the next Grand Campaign too. On the other hand maybe lads will want to change to a new wingman to spice things up.

Anyway please cast your vote in this Poll to let me know. You can PM me if there is someone who you would prefer or not prefer to fly with. If we don't want an assigned wingman we can of course continue with the present situation.

Regards,
TS!
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:51 am

i pick tact!, or snoop depending on whom im shooting :D
:: napier ::

:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:51 pm

While it is a good idea, in practice it could be quite difficult due to people missing sessions O:). So a per-session wingman may make the most sense.

If we go for a campaign wingman I definitely think we should switch for the next campaign.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:19 pm

Indeed, but as mentioned elsewhere, my thought would be that for each Grand Campaign folks would be paired and have a real opportunity to develop some wingman tactics. As it is right now I could fly with three different folks (or more) in our next three sessions in Normandy 1941. There's little chance of me really getting to know any of my wingmen IMO.

So here's the deal, TacticalS! (sorry No. 97 ;) ) is paired with No. 2000, and most sessions No. 2000 shows up (because he's not moving any houses [-( ). Now, one session No. 2000 didn't show. So, after everyone else pairs up as assigned, TS! grabs that other guy missing his wingman or maybe that newcomer. Worst case an AI wingman if no lad is available.

I really don't see this being much of a problem, but I will let the group decide whether we want to go this route or pick a wingman each sortie/session.

Agreed that unless pairs want to stay together, it would be a nice change to have a new wingman assignment for the next Grand Campaign. Also, if your wingman would like to try the ground attack plane it would be preferred both stick together.

-----

As a starting point I suppose with 2 flights of 4 planes in the main fighter group it could look like . . .

Flight 1 (fighter):
SnoopBaron (Squadron Leader/Flight Leader) + Madcat
McBiggles + Noter

Flight 2 (fighter):
TacticalS! (Assistant Squadron Leader/Flight Leader) + IceFrog
Hunter + Flynn

Flight 3 (ground attack):
Heloego (Flight Leader) + Sneaky
Moe + Murph

The above is just an example. I realize Moe isn't able to join us in Normandy 1941, plus Genosse and ZekeMan will hopefully be able to join us for some more adventures (not to mention any newcomers too!).

Perhaps during the session Helo and Sneak want a change from the Hurricane, then TS! + IceFrog could pop down and Helo + Sneak move up. If things get too crowded the host could also add some more slots if most wanted to fly Spits.

Also, like always the assignment of leaders will be open to any interested in the positions. Personally I enjoy the reduced workload by following orders rather then figuring out what our next move should be.

---

Anyway let's see where the votes take us.

TS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:54 pm

So far my 5 votes seem to be holding up [insert evil world domination laughter :badgrin:].
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Not that my opinion means that much...but,

I would say that rather than assigning wingman pairs, maybe you can assign groups of say 3-4 people that fly together normally. This way if someone was absent, there could potentially be two others to choose from.

Of course it is nice to build some cohesiveness between wingemen but I guess that would depend on schedules. Since this is not the Air Force, people have a choice wheter they can join up for the evenings mission or not. ;)
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:01 am

Dr_Strangelove wrote: wingemen
Does this refer to the "Luftwaffle"?
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:03 am

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:
Dr_Strangelove wrote: wingemen
Does this refer to the "Luftwaffle"?
Lol, I have been here 5 mins and already managed to put my foot in my mouth. This is what I get for not spell checking :D

Oh and a Luftwaffle is quite the treat especially served with some strawberries and syrup.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:15 am

"www.urbandictionary.com
Waffle

To talk unendingly, with no point to your conversation about totally idiotic things. Spamming on chat rooms is a case of waffling.
Luftwaffle (example)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:41 am

I think it is a good idea to have a prefered wingman for each campaign. If they aren't available then just pick someone that is available to fly as a pair for that day. It really does help if you spend some time flying with the same wingman pair. Sure Napier, I'd love to fly with you as long as I get the number two slot :D Welcome back m8, we missed ya!

s!
Snoop