Red Orchestra

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Menace
Postmaster

Red Orchestra

Post by Menace » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:23 am

Ummm. COD2 anything like it online?

Driver
Bowgunner
Gunner/comander
Hatches that open.

It ain't bad. Might not be for everyone. Kind of like a mix of BF2 and CODUO.

I know the market is saturated. But at least the voice comms are better than DOD.
"Give me a full bottle in front of me, instead of a full frontal lobotomy!"
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

red orchestra

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Tue May 23, 2006 2:35 pm

HI folks can i order it by steam and thats it ???

or do i need halflife 2 also ????

it is not out in a box yet here in the netherlands

wandering ... Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Tue May 23, 2006 4:59 pm

Yes, you don't need to buy Half life. You can just pick it up on Steam.
It's based off of an old UT mod.
There is only something like 250 servers out there. I've been playing it alot for the last couple of weeks. I went back to BF2 to play with a bunch of my neighbors and I almost laughed when I saw someone chuck a grenade 200 yards then start jumping around like a hamster with insulin shock.
That don't happen in RO, that gets you shot. ZAP, gone. The vehicle armour system is still somewhat of a mystery to me. There is a good chance of a ricochet, that's right, no damage at all with certain types of vehicles/ angles of incoming shot, but they all seem to have some kind of "Sweet" (for lack of a better word) spot to hit that downs them with one shot at close range. I like the balistics system very much in it, bullets drop. The PPSh on full auto can panic a whole room. (Well it would panic me anyway). Rifles, yes the non scoped rifles, are FAR more accurate than anything in BF2. I know I'm making too many BF2 refrences, but this game does quite a few things that should have been done in BF2 that were not. Oh yeah, the engine detects if you are near a windowsill or a ridgeline/tree that you can brace your weapon on for more accuracy, which is a nice touch. Demo charges make people run for the hills. I've just "Dropped" them, watch everyone scatter then picked it up again, wasn't armed, hee hee. LMG are a holy terror in the right hands, if it's covering a doorway, NOTHING gets through without holes. Barrels overheat and you have to swap them too.
I'm not a crack shot in real life like Keppoch (he is not exagerating), but the balistic modeling is pretty good in my honest opinion. I'll have to get the opinion of Y'all good 'ol boys if its a reasonable model for a FPS. But I think you might like it.
Oh yeah, it's based on the UT engine, I think I said that before. So it has really low system requirements, well, for today anyway, you won't need a quadSLI 7800 setup to run it at 60 FPS. Personally I'd like them to drop the price down to about twenty bucks, just to boost the online community.
Last edited by Menace on Tue May 23, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

If I had a little money ...

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue May 23, 2006 6:24 pm

... I´d purchase it. I will ... but not now ... ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Tue May 23, 2006 6:29 pm

8) It´s realy a good game, got it some days ago and I find it far better than CoD...
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

RO

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Tue May 23, 2006 6:44 pm

okee guys,

Manace thanks for the detailed info...

convinced...

downloading it.

is there a particular server you play on ?????

unpatience Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Tue May 23, 2006 6:58 pm

I´ll try to host a litle later tonight.....see you in TS...
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Tue May 23, 2006 9:48 pm

Oh sweet! I didn't know that anybody here had even heard of this game!

I usually try to hang out on servers that have a low ping for me, but the online community is so small I'm surprised that I didn't run into you earlier. I'm going by the handle Fragbait. (Because I attract grenades) My steam account handle is LeperousKhan (rather clever if you ask me). If you have the Steam friends beta.

I hope that my post didn't come across as being too convincing, this game may not be everybody's cup of tea.

Little hints: If your sprint-o-meter is used up, you won't hit crap.

In a tank, the lean left and lean right, adjusts the gunsight in the gunner's position for range.

You can give ammo to any LMG guy from any class but LMG, it's free points.

Don't run out in the open when the tank is pointing right at you :P

On second thought, running out into the open is a bad idea altogether.

If everybody and thier dog is shooting at you, you won't hit crap, or even see, there is some kind of supression thingie.

If you are in a tank you can't see crap. Tanks generally can't see crap.

The standard soldier class is one of the best in my opinion for the long fight. Never underestimate your rifle. Never underestimate a bayonet charge into a building.

Right weapon for the job! That pistol is one heck of a lot better than running around with the LMG out in a building.

THINK!

Ever have that shot in BF2 land 2 FEET to the left/right after you lined it up, cracked it off from a prone position with the reticle on a stationary target for about 3 secs WITH A SNIPER RIFLE? Does not happen here. This is a snipers game, but with the bolt action rifles, someone gets close with a smg, and knows what he's doing, he can wipe out a whole squad.
:FI:Dex
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Dex » Wed May 24, 2006 12:36 am

LOVE the Russian Anti Tank gun. Great sound off it.

Yeah I agree there is something very real about this game though it lacks the pure frag fest of DoD. I also think the choice of weapons and the quality of the maps is very good mind you I have only played a demo of BF2.

I do have one gripe though the movement of the soldier models look a bit lame at times, rather they look good but their movement is shite.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Wed May 24, 2006 6:30 am

Yea, the game(UT) was made without motion-capture.
So it´s a bunch of running "stiffs" getting killed...
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed May 24, 2006 10:21 am

:FI:Genosse wrote:... I´d purchase it. I will ... but not now ... ;)
I thought exactly the same.

and I...

downloaded it. You can find me via Steamfrioends beta under the name maccaronnie.

Cool game, much much much ore realistic then CoD.

Kinda BF2 in WW2, but more realistic.

S!

Mac

PS Are we playing today evening?
ImageImageImage
Menace
Postmaster

WOW.

Post by Menace » Thu May 25, 2006 5:07 pm

I can't belive that a bunch of you guys ran off an purchaced this game! Thanks for Hosting there Rules! It was a pretty fun time, got my head ventilated a few times by my squadmates. We'll have to russle up some more people. The stock maps do not lend themselves very well to having less than sixteen people I find. Shouldn't be a problem I think. All we have to do is put a few bots in, everybody goes on one side and waits for the suckers to join. :lol: :badgrin: