World Championship 2006

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue May 09, 2006 7:23 am

Beowolff wrote:
what would you call baseball? ---pitch and bat??? (cause you pitch a ball and swing a bat in it?) :cry: same difference.

Beo
Rounders ... 'cos you run around four bases to score a point :)

Wikki linky

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue May 09, 2006 10:12 am

Rounders? thats a girls game innit?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Better put on a pot of coffee, here comes a rant...

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue May 09, 2006 10:43 am

Baseball! I used to play baseball. In fact, I was on the Irish Little League team and competed internationally including one tour in America. Even played a game in Cooperstown. Lovely part of the country... But in fairness, no, I wouldn't call baseball 'pitch and bat' on account of its method and apparatus, rather I differenciate the descriptive force of the term 'football' as it applies to the most popular sport in the world, and 'football' in the case of North American Football, in which the athletes spend some of the game on their feet.

And please don't give recourse to the physical danger of American Football in the attempt to justify all those accessories. Take Gaelic Football for instance, which might be considered across the way there as baseball and American Football combined: fastest team field sport in the world, played by muck savages wielding hefty hurls made from ash wood, each peregrine pass of the sliotar - let alone each legitimate tackle - a potentially fatal or career-ending event... you'd think they'd be in favour of trading some speed and grace of motion for proper padding, but no! What have they got? The OPTION to wear what is in essence a toy helmet, an option that most of the players refuse anyway. It is a contact sport; some of the challenges in the more heated contests would warrant police intervention in any other sport. Not in Gaelic. The level of athleticism is so high that even the toughest tackle is made without any intent to injure the opposing player and subsequently very few players sustain bad injuries.

But for the most part, Gaelic players are plug-ugly and SHOULD be hidden from plain sight under a big helmet. Preferably with the sponsor's logo emblazoned across every available square inch of surface area.

Come to think of it though, in many parts of Ireland you'll hear football referred to, but the speaker means the game of Gaelic Football. I see no problem with that, so why then do I take such umbridge at what I perceive to be the bastardisation of the Beautiful Game's moniker? I certainly wouldn't go around calling football 'soccer' or 'association football' but, tipping my hat to Voltaire here, what difference does it make, at the end of the day, what you call a particular sport as long as it elicits in you all of the passion and enjoyment that it would do under any name?

Football is just one more of those cultural tropes, rent in twain by the Atlantic, that draws into focus some of the more fundamental differences between Europe per se and the United States. In an oft-quoth and gnomic sentence that sums up the predicament, we are "two nations separated by a common language" (attributable to many different sources but while I'm feeling jingoistic I'll give it to Shaw). The words may be sometimes synonymous but their referents [sic] are wholly apart.

Mneh, I've gone full-circle on this now so, I guess, you guys can enjoy the football and beer, and we'll enjoy the football and beer too! :beer:

HOWEVER... just to keep this good old debate alive, here's something I found after a quick Google search of "difference between Europe and USA":

8-[
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Tue May 09, 2006 11:15 am

I just love European lassies:)

She's French, isn'tshe?

S!

Mac
ImageImageImage
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Tue May 09, 2006 2:12 pm

:FI:Macca wrote:I just love European lassies:)

She's French, isn'tshe?

S!

Mac
yes, Mac... the blonde IS French. she's a tourist from Paris. the 'other' chick's on vacation in Europe from Bull Frog Tennessee....

:lol:

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Tue May 09, 2006 2:30 pm

no no no, the lassie on the left is French, the right one ins non-european ;)

it is easy to see.

S!

Mac
ImageImageImage
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue May 09, 2006 3:47 pm

~looks up "jingoistic"~

Jeez Moog, what a letter!

I will not attempt to raise my quality of post to any where near that level ...

for it is far too early

and I am far too lazy

and I prolly couldn't do it anyway.

mayhap Trev can try.

Anyway!

If the guys in the US took off their panzer armor and tried to play even one down they would be pulverized immediately into dust given the explosive energy of the game.

"Hike! ... BOOM! ... poof!"

Baseball is fun to play, a bit boring to watch, but a dream to play. Congrats on the Little League stuff, Moog. I led my grade school mates to semi-partial-quasi-pseudo finals in '65. As a reward, we got to go to McDonalds.

~sigh~

I think it was the great philosopher and cynic, RULES, who said something like ...

(heh ... yeah, American fat ... gah.)

~sigh~

I can't debate that.

Being in the "Land of Plenty" has it's hazards.

On the other hand ...

have you ever grabbed all that fat and shoved your face ...

uh, never mind.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Tue May 09, 2006 4:07 pm

Hmmm... Things are heating up a bit ;)

So fuel to the fire :badgrin:

Soccer

I dont understand it... A bunch of guys chase a dead pig on a big field... You see maybe one goal/hour, and still people are all exited about that sport... :?

(american) Football

Guys stand in a row, facing each other... Then somebody shouts like "Hooah!! 10-3-55 Hoaah!!!" Then somebody throws that "ball" (why do they even call it football, because the thing they are playing with, isn´t round?) somewhere, and everybody just crash into each other...

Then they stop, and do it again.

The only reason, why football is better than soccer, is that in football, they have cheerleaders :p

Gah....

But what about ice-hockey then? Now THAT´S a great sport :D

*Hides behind... Rules? you´re with me... right buddy?*

;)
Last edited by Sapper-FIN on Tue May 09, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue May 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Aye Falc, jeez, I don't know where in the hell that post came from. I must have had ISSUES :roll:

Anyway, as is often the case, the FI forums have served a therapeutic effect and I think I'm over the blurst, I mean the worst of it now.

I remember playing the game John Madden on the Sega Megadrive years ago. Nothing remarkable in itself, a fairly average video game, but the one feature that has stuck with me is this: every time a player was severely injured, an ambulance would drive onto the field to wherever the player went down. Still, nothing spectacular, I know... but what was riotously funny was watching the ambulance crush any and every other player or referee in its path! :lol:

And in a later version of the game, the player could be knocked unconscious by running into the goalpost.

Harking back on those fond memories, I never had the slightest ideas what all the different plays, shotguns, all that jazz, were about. I just hammered the buttons and hoped for the best.

Not much has changed since ;)
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Tue May 09, 2006 5:19 pm

On the subject of sport our form at school took part in a netball tournament for sport relief.It was pretty much a disaster as none of us knew the rules and we kept giving away penalties and the like and I didnt understand what I wa being told to do by the ref etc etc

It was a laugh though.....until we were disqualified for having no girls on the team and rowdy celebrations! :shock: :roll:

It was fun though....but I would have preferd to do anything other than netball....it was the most contact game of netball i've ever played in though ;) :lol:

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Hmmm...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Tue May 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Moog isn't Irish... he said people play Gaelic Footlall with a hurl and a sliotar...
:lol:

And please don't give recourse to the physical danger of American Football in the attempt to justify all those accessories. Take Gaelic Football for instance, which might be considered across the way there as baseball and American Football combined: fastest team field sport in the world, played by muck savages wielding hefty hurls made from ash wood, each peregrine pass of the sliotar - let alone each legitimate tackle - a potentially fatal or career-ending event... you'd think they'd be in favour of trading some speed and grace of motion for proper padding, but no! What have they got?
I have a medal for hurling, so I know what I'm talking about. Played in the Rice Cup (Thurles CBS) B-Team - I was crap... Got a medal though :D

Sorry Falc... I'm not up to reply to Moog's post in a similar style. Been at work all day and am shat-tered....

Hey Moog... how's the band these days?
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue May 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Oh my god! Fen, how did I manage to do that? I was in total rant mode and for the life of me I had hurling in my head when I was describing Gaelic football. That's a real no-brainer. I hereby resign all argumentative powers forthwith!

:oops:

The band's going well... check out the Platoon forums for some updates and photos of a recent show in Amsterdam...
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Tue May 09, 2006 9:54 pm

:FI:Macca wrote:no no no, the lassie on the left is French, the right one ins non-european ;)

it is easy to see.

S!

Mac
cha-ching! wrong-o, lad! the girl on the left is from Bull Frog, Tenn.... how do i know? i dated her! she has a teeny, heart-shaped mole just a bit lower on her right buttock...can't see it in the pic unfortunately. lol! but, i am glad to know that you 'do' like French chicks (like the one on the right)... and that you do not hold being a 'few' pounds overweight against them. after all, even fat people need luv.

:D :D :D

by the way, this thread is turning out remarkably well... thanks, Gen! ;)

everything has been sorta ho-hum around here lately, i'd about thought all the Fightin' Irish had lost their fiesty spirit. but after reading a few of these snappy comebacks (AND especially Moog's salvo-like posting) in this thread, thank Dog, my fears are relieved!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed May 10, 2006 9:55 am

Beo, u're wrong she's got a cute mole unter right knee! How do I know?? guess:)

S!

Mac

P.S. Yes, the absudrvoll FI spirit isack with a spirit!

Gah!

or even two!

Mac
ImageImageImage
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed May 10, 2006 6:54 pm

Yeah Beo, the boards need a bit of savage banter every once in a while, eh? ;)

I'm so embarrassed about that hurling/football balls-up though. D'ya ever do anything like that? You're visualising one thing but you're using the words for the other thing and you're so wrapped up in the swing of things that you don't realise until it's too late?

...and if the answer is yes, I hope that the situation didn't involve referring to a current spouse using the name of an ex!! :lol:

Besides, what's that Oscar Wilde quote, something like, "If people agree with me I feel I must be wrong". That's certainly true for me a lot of the time. Sure I'd argue with Helen Keller over the potting order of the green, brown, and yellow on the snooker table...
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...