WIP Finnish JU-88

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

WIP Finnish JU-88

Post by Sapper-FIN » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:56 pm

I would need some advise... I started skinning the Ju88, and encountered this problem; (Sorry about the unblurred swastikas, there´s a reason for shoving them in this picture)

In JU88 void, there are both upper wing surfaces, but only one under wind surface... So if i place the national insignia there, it will be mirrored to the other wing... Is there any way around that problem, or should i just leave the under wing unmarked?

Anyhoo... This is what i´ve done so far...

"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Good skin Sap!

Uh, on the he-111 (I think) and the P-38 and others there are places where you just can't fix mirrored areas.

I use symetrical symbols where possible.

Too bad.

I haven't checked all/any of the new voids yet.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:55 am

symetrical symbols
Is that like a musical instrument? :oops:

It's looking pretty dandy there Snap, I'll sure be interested in a puppy .... just love the 2x2000 babies! =D]

NC
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:27 am

Thx guys!

So i guess i´ll just have to leave the lower surfaces of the wings unmarked :? ...

Or maybe i could make so heavy weathering to the wings, that one couldn´t tell, if there´s a national insignia under all that crap or not :lol: Then again, maybe not...

Btw, photoshop is a great program... with every project, i discover something new about it...

What program do you guys use?
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi Sapper,

Nice work.

I'm no skinner so I consulted someone who is...well...I downloaded vpmedia's Finnish Ju88 skin. :oops:

Anyway his skin has the underwing markings but they are closer to the wingtip which might prevent the mapping issue on the engine nacelles. I suppose the mirrored hakenkreuzes and slightly inaccurate positioning are accepted as a bug in the game.

In my game I use IL2MAT Manager, so I usually download unmarked skins, or skins without squadron codes and let IL2MAT work it's magic.

As I said, I'm no skinner, but if I'm messing around I use GIMP as it's free. My girlfriend uses Photoshop CS and has one of those Wacom tablet deals. She says she could never go back to a mouse for drawing.
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:25 pm

Ok, thank you Moe! I´ll look into that... Then again, if it still mirrors the swastika, then i´ll propably leave the wing unmarked, rather than having inaccurate markings...

Cheers!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:51 pm

and what's that gobble de gook (French) in the aft underside of the nacelles? a map patch of some of the underwing???

Gah!

This looks like it's gonna get hairy!

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.