OK

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:04 pm

Danny, what hardware do you use?

Install latest video/motherboard/sound drivers.

Patches?

If you have a Pentium CPU you will have to download the right dlls from the PF forums.

Defrag your hard drive.

Check if there are no spyware programms running in the background.

I hope you have your PF issues solved soon so I can try to shoot your Il2 down.

Or be shot down......

S!

Maciej
Last edited by :FI:Macca on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Uninstall video driver and update to latest. Always run IL-2 initially with safe video settings and no sound in Quick Mission. If ok, exit and return with proper settings for video and sound. Try this with DirectX first then OpenGL.

Do you use the special rts.dll or are you using the standard rts.dll? Try replacing it again with the special one to ensure it hasn't been corrupted.

Open your DXDiag.exe program and ensure there are no conflicts.

Can't see any value in re-installing the game as it will work, albeit in DirectX mode instead of the preferred OpenGL mode.

Maybe we can get on TS sometime soon and troubleshoot mate?

TS!
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Saga, part Dieux...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:46 am

...I flew a few coops with mcB, Noter and Murph tonight.

Everything seemed to work just fine! :D

Still in DX mode, but who the hell cares, right? As long as it works.

I'd wondered why it ran so well in Single-Player, but sucked in Quasi's session. My guess is he had too much going on in the missions. He did say it was his first time with DCG, so that may have been the issue...too many extraneous aircraft.

Fun, nonetheless! :D

So thanks for all the tips, guys! ^:)

As long as it's working fine I'll just keep on truckin'.

BTW, McB hosted most of the evening, and decided to call his sessions "Hysterical Encounters". :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

Interesting Thing about XP...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:26 am

...Well, to me, anyway.
I re-installed XP because of issues related to my CD-RW (I thought I'd ruined some settings when I tweaked for gaming at http://www.tweakxp.com) that caused frequent lock-ups of my PC.
Last night I think I nailed it down to the CD-RW as the culprit...AFTER re-installing most of my programs.
Anyway I did note that a re-install of XP appears to have only affected my drivers and the Registry leaving my file structure and previously installed programs intact.
After I determined the CDRW is the problem every time a CD is in it I got annoyed because I didn't think I would get FBetc installed.
WRONGO!
A double-click on the il2fb.exe file started up the game, set new registry settings, and after making a new icon for FB I'm back in business! :D
The only aspect of FB affected was a few of the video settings...all else was just as before. I did the same with TS, TIR, and HL to good affect.

Man, that wouldn't happen with W98! :lol:

Getting to like XP a bit better all the time! :D

BTW...the CDRW definitely is F'd Up.

Anyone recommend a good DVD/CD burner? They are cheap enough on the net, but there are brands I don't recognize.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:04 am

Danny boy,

PC Gamer's "Hard Stuff" lists these two drives in their Dream System list.

Dat's good enough fer me!

Plextor-716A

BenQ DW 1625

Another good drive is the Pioneer DVR-108 for less $$$. I think it's a RW diddly.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Re: Interesting Thing about XP...

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:54 pm

:FI:Heloego wrote:...Well, to me, anyway.
I re-installed XP because of issues related to my CD-RW (I thought I'd ruined some settings when I tweaked for gaming at http://www.tweakxp.com) that caused frequent lock-ups of my PC.
Last night I think I nailed it down to the CD-RW as the culprit...AFTER re-installing most of my programs.
Anyway I did note that a re-install of XP appears to have only affected my drivers and the Registry leaving my file structure and previously installed programs intact.
After I determined the CDRW is the problem every time a CD is in it I got annoyed because I didn't think I would get FBetc installed.
WRONGO!
A double-click on the il2fb.exe file started up the game, set new registry settings, and after making a new icon for FB I'm back in business! :D
The only aspect of FB affected was a few of the video settings...all else was just as before. I did the same with TS, TIR, and HL to good affect.

Man, that wouldn't happen with W98! :lol:

Getting to like XP a bit better all the time! :D

BTW...the CDRW definitely is F'd Up.

Anyone recommend a good DVD/CD burner? They are cheap enough on the net, but there are brands I don't recognize.
A couple very quick comments Helo.

You use the rts.dll that avoids the need to use a CD/DVD right? This is an obvious workaround to this problem.

With regard to the CD drive issue, what you MAY be experiencing is the Indexing Service of Windows XP. Did you turn it off yet mate? What it does is scan any and all CDs in your drive and quickly (but not so quickly) makes an index to speed up file retrieval. Now with all the latest updates and patches, including the SP2 OS release, I thought this issue was resolved. In any event take a quick look at your settings. Also make sure your driver is up-to-date for your CD drive.

Personally I disable all Indexing, System Restore, run the OS in the old-style Windows presentation, and a bunch of other things to free up resources.
Post Maniac General

Yup!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:08 am

The rts.dll file is one of my staples among saved files for PF! :)

At least I'm up and running again, though as yet without my CD machine.

Could someone work with me on TS, via PM, or Email regarding the Services Settings?

I noted that there are at least two areas for services. I want to be sure to tweak the right ones.

Thanks in advance.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Bet Chuck Norris could sort it out with a roundhouse kick
Post Maniac General

Hmmm...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:07 am

...CDRW is working beautifully, now.

I suppose the screaming threats must have worked. :D