Practice

Dates, News and Comments
Jacquel
Beginner

Practice

Post by Jacquel » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:31 pm

Hey guys, its me again.

I was just wondering if you guys have practice sessions for the newbs like me. You know how to take off better how to land better how to not get shot down... better :? .

Rabbit is a very good practice for flying and shooting down and evasion. Though it doesn't teach much about the other aspects of ingame flight.

If you do have something like this, then I will be more then happy to jump in and start learning a bit more.

Thanks!

Ryan "Jackal" Jacquel
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:11 pm

I bet that I know how to get shot down betterer than you do!

:D :oops: :(

I think Wednesdays and Sundays are the official days... But I'm guessing you might be able to twist someone's arm to fly with ya on another day...
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:03 am

Would be happy to go through those things M8.

Just page me on HL and we can nip into Snoops server if its up or Mikesters if he is around. Most evenings UK time.

Anyone else would be welcome too. :)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Gettin' off the ground isn't much of a problem.

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:44 am

It's gettin' back that I worry about! :)

The DFs I got into this afternoon showed me just how bad a DFer I've become! :cry:

I bitched and moaned about the Emils, then after I went and had a smoke I realized, "Oh yeah! Those buggers do have a cannon firing through the hub, don't they!" :oops:

Helo(out of touch)ego
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:30 pm

:FI:Snaphoo wrote:I bet that I know how to get shot down betterer than you do!
If thats the game 'come to Daddy'. Nobody can get shot down quite as well as me. The ground does it M8 never mind anybody else!!.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Bunny Hunt

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:44 pm

One of the best practice sessions we have in the squadron is the "Chase the Rabbit" session. You practice chasing someone and then if you get lucky and nail him, you become the rabbit and everyone chases you. Of course, shooting is involved, but it is friendly fire.

I was in one last evening, only took a bite out of a couple guys, no shoot downs, but it helped me to see how they manueverd to avoid a pack of crazed dogs after them.

I volunteered to be the rabbit at one point, and enjoyed evading others...for a while anyway.

Get into this type of session everytime you can find one. very good practice.

Mike
:D
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:24 pm

We did a rabbit couple Wednesdays ago, great fun. Snoop and IceFrog are damned good. I got waxed pretty quick all the time, did a lot more huntin' than evadin'.

On takeoff's the torque is obviously the issue, and not that familiar with most of the aircraft's tendencies, I wing it.

I apply throttle smoothly, I tend not to lock the tail wheel, and figure out which way the plane is taking me (usually left), correct with rudder (tend to overcorrect). Pull some back pressure on the stick to prevent a nose over and as speed increases apply slight bank to the same side as my rudder corrections. Once the wheels come up, it gets a bit hairy, but correct smoothly and usually it's ok.

Be soft and smooth with inputs, I think that's key.

I havn't crashed on my last two takeoff's :lol: ;)

Come join us tonight, it's pretty lax. If you crash we start over, no worries.

Noter
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Kuhm by yaaaahhhhhhh,,, Kuhm by yaaaahhhh

Post by MikeVictor » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:30 pm

Would really like to see a topic, maybe this one, set up where the Ace's in FI share tips, tricks, lessons learned that would help other FI members to get better sooner. perahps we would have more fun together that way. You know sharing that stuff learned over years of experience that enables them to kick butt.

I know that there are sites around that offer guidance, but they don't provide the kind of coaching we might offer each other nor the practice we can get in Chase the Rabbit drills with members offering pointers all along the way and perhaps afterwards. COOPs against AI and or fellow FI's are good practice as well.

Hey, perhaps we could join other game sessions on HL as an FI team instead of individuals. With our private TS communications, we could get organized into wingman pairs and into larger groupings to function as a really tight tream. So far, when I have entered those contests, it has been on my own even when other FI guys were somewhere ruinning amuck.

Suggest we elevate our FI brothers abilities and then go kick some butt together.

We are family.....

MicVic
:D
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:22 pm

Advice?

Oh sure ...

First, be careful to fly straight and level so none of the passengers spill their drinks and ...

oh

you wanted ace's opinions?

never mind.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.