Generation Kill (and other books)

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Re: I read a book

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:27 pm

:FI:Fenian wrote:last year call The Bedford Boys -tragic...
Fenian
I read the Bedford Boys too about a year ago, a real tear jerker, How long did they train for this landing, about two years and a lot where killed before they even got off the landing boat. They went to school together as kids, basically grew up together, and died together.
I read another book about that same time too, that was a good one called the “The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors” this is worth reading also.
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Salahdin
Boardie

Post by Salahdin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:50 pm

I have just finished reading "Roberts Ridge" by a guy named McPherson. Its about a few SEALs who were being inserted by Chinook to establish an OP on a mountain in Afghanistan. An rpg hit the aircraft and one of the guys fell off the ramp into the snow and then fought off a large number of Al Qaeda before being hit and killed. Another chinook was brought in with Rangers and SEALs to find him but they were shot down and forced to defend the crash site for an entire day against relentless enemy attacks. Kind of Blackhawkdownish but a very entertaining read nonetheless and a story that very few people know about.

I am about to start "Not a Good Day to Die" which is about Operation Anaconda and the same battle (I am addicted).
"God Save Ireland" said the Heroes
:FI:COM
Postmaster

Back to WW2...

Post by :FI:COM » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:55 pm

I just ordered "The first and the last" by Adolph Galland, as it has finally been put back in print, apparently. I hope he's not too much of a windbag; he's always managed to come across pompously in old interviews...(cross fingers)
Salahdin
Boardie

Post by Salahdin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm

Has anyone ever read "Samurai!" by Saburo Sakai? One of the best books I have ever read, it charts his experiences from the war in China right up to 1945 and how he shot down 64 aircraft. It tells of how he was shot in the head, losing an eye and how he still managed to get his Zero back to base. Added to that, he has a cool personal life which involves him falling in love with his cousin!

What a legend, Meas Mór!
"God Save Ireland" said the Heroes
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:50 am

Has anyone ever read "Samurai!" by Saburo Sakai?
Yes i have it (in 3 pieces... it´s almost 40 year old book :lol: )

He makes it sound so easy... the dogfighting i mean... were the US planes really that bad, or was he really that good?
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."