Headphones/Mike.

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Finbar1
Postmaster

Headphones/Mike.

Post by Finbar1 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:04 pm

OK It's time to overcome my innate shyness,and actually speak to you guys,if nothing else I assume you warn each other about "bogeys on yer six".
Dont have a sound card,but have a reasonable rig,so I am assuming it should work,leaving aside the mystical properties of TS,can anyone recomend a good set of headphones.
Budget is about £20-£30.
Any help appreciated.
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:48 pm

Do you mean a headphone/mic combo thing?

Check out this gizmo, it's available in Game.

I have two sound cards (one is external and the other is on the motherboard). I use the external card for everything *except* TeamSpeak. That way I can have TS send and receive using the earpiece/mic plugged into the mobo's input/outpt with all other system/game audio coming out of my main speakers (or headphones) so that I can hear the lovely dulcet tones of the FI without interference from the whiz of their bullets as they perforate me and my virtual cockpit.

If you're looking for some decent headphones (without a mic), check this out:

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stockdet ... ontext=WEB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you were to buy those *and* the earpiece mic, you could easily configure your setup so that system/game audio and TeamSpeak voices came through the headphones while TeamSpeak received your own voice with the earpiece mic. It's pretty comfy wearing the earpiece/mic while the headphones are on, and it means you don't have to worry about moving around a 'normal' mic just to be heard properly.

TALK to you soon mate ;)
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:00 pm

Well M8, good of you to finaly join in the chaos of the TS2....
This is what I use, and am realy pleased with. Best headset I ever tested...

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/04 ... ereophones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;^SB45
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:01 pm

Like Moog I use a seperate sound card soley for TS. Not for performance issues, just ease of use as I don't want to be fiddling for jacks and cable everytime I'm online and wanting to use TS. When I am offline I want the sound through speakers, not headphones.

I have a set of Plantronics ones.
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/results. ... lantronics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's the Audio 90 approx £28. Though they are all now being remarketed/branded for Skype services so its a bit hard to say if its the same model.

Handy thing to have, a mute on off switch and volume control on the headphone cable. Makes it a lot easier.

G
I fear no beer

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

I can hear you!

Post by MikeVictor » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:07 pm

I can tell ya that being able to speak to fellow FI friends in or outside a session has added a demension to this experience I didn't expect. It has become more real and friendly. It takes you out of the virtual psuedo world and into the real world with real people, more like a teleconference than an inpersonal mail list.

I like it, also, it makes communicating much easier and faster during the sessions, increasing one's chances of survival and victory. It's like having multiple pairs of eye's looking out for you, and you for them, much more so than typing messages would.

TS is a great addition to online gaming.

I now have a headphone with a mic. Before I was using my webcam with mic, which worked OK, but the problem there was background noise and feedback when I was talking. Not a problem with a headset, makes communications clearer for all.

MikVic
:D
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:56 pm

8) Just found these in a shop....have to wait for more money :cry:

"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".