Question about scottish spitfires

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Question about scottish spitfires

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:25 pm

Since my family´s origins are in Scotland (MacKinnon clan) i thought i´d make a Scottish spitfire, with family coat of arms and tartan in it...

I wasn´t able to find any pictures about scottish spits, so here´s my question: I know that some of them had that "tartan" painted in some part of the plane, but where?

I doubt this is the right place:
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Tartans & Coats of Arms are cool

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:18 pm

Been trying to create a Spit with my family tartan and coat of arms on it as well. Haven't looked to see what would be authentic, have been trying to wrap the tartan over the top of the fuselag in front of the cockpit and taper it down the sides to the area the wing attaches to the fuselag. Will place the CoA on the tartan on both sides forward of the cockpit....or something like that.

Will show you what I have when I get it done.

Not sure how to get the under lying textur/surface of the plane to show through without creating a layer on top of the tartan. I assume any weathering would also be a layer on top of that.

Regards,
MickVic 8)
:D
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:24 pm

Not sure how to get the under lying textur/surface of the plane to show through without creating a layer on top of the tartan. I assume any weathering would also be a layer on top of that.
In photoshop, you can select how transparent you want that layer to be.. i guess there is similar function in paintshop (?) If you are having problems with that project, i could give it a shot. Now that my GF is gone for 2 weeks, i´ve got all the time in the world :lol:
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Thanks a bunch, really...

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:38 pm

PSP does the same thing with transparency, guess that would do the trick. Might even like to add tartan and CoA to the way cool bird you did for me....hmmmm.

When you send it to me could you save it so the layers are separate so I might add to it. Or if you like, you could monkey around with the tartan & CoA as well.

Did you come up with a neat way to put a tartan & CoA on your birds?

Have to get to work, will respond later in the day.

Late now,

Mike
:D
Finbar1
Postmaster

Re: Question about scottish spitfires

Post by Finbar1 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:41 pm

:FI:Sapper-FIN wrote:Since my family´s origins are in Scotland (MacKinnon clan) i thought i´d make a Scottish spitfire, with family coat of arms and tartan in it...

I wasn´t able to find any pictures about scottish spits, so here´s my question: I know that some of them had that "tartan" painted in some part of the plane, but where?

I doubt this is the right place:
Ive tried to find material on this from a variety of sources,eventually e-mailed the RAF,with no response(yet)
If I hear anything I will let you know m8,I tried all the sites that list scottish squadrons,and although they list the squdron crest they make no mention of "tartan"

FYI Genose placed my "sigs" tartan on my Hurr Mk 2,looks cool.