for the WW2 weapons nuts among us...quiz thread

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:44 pm

okay, here's one a teeny-tiny bit harder... but not by much.

this 9mm caliber Allied submachine-gun was born of desperation and urgent need and its production was well over 50,000 units by 1945. though somewhat odd in appearance, a bit heavy, bulky and somwhat top-heavy, it was VERY rugged and reliable (except for a somewhat finicky magazine.) it took all sorts of rough conditions and stoppages were remarkably rare... in fact, the troops that were issued it LOVED it and even when more modern type weapons were available, many flat refused to part with it. in fact, the weapons soldiered on until the 1960s, when they were turned over to reserve units. it fought and killed the enemy in all sorts of conditons... rain, mud, dust, salt water and jungle, a valuable weapon that surely deserves more worldwide recognition.

(big hint...the men that used it the most talk a bit funny---to us Americans and Europeans, anyway. hehehehe... :D )

Length 32 inchs.
Weight unloaded, 9lb, 5oz.
Caliber, 9mm.
Magazine, 33 round detachable box.
Cyclic rate, 700 rpm.
Muzzle velocity, 1250 fps.

------------------------------------

good luck on the guesses...

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:23 pm

STEN series of submachine gun. Actually not a bad firearm. I had an opprtunity to fire one a few years ago. Comfortable to shoot, low climb, accurate (atleast within 25 foot).

Igor
:FI:Igor
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:02 pm

:? Must be the Aussi Owen SMG...
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:40 am

and the winner is....

FI RULES! =D]

the Sten was a good guess... and no doubt the Owen may owe a few of its basic design features to the Sten, but really it was a totally different weapon with its own unique features and layout. though less conventional than the Sten, and a bit wonky looking to most Westerners and Europeans, the weapon was a hit with the Aussies and a complete winner in brutal, no holds barred jungle combat. it ate mud, dirt, dust, water and sludge for breakfast, being completely reliable and trustworthy. very few smgs or auto weapons could say that...back then...and even today.

it was the 'down under' wonder weapon that kicked asses and took names. and as i said earlier, due to its sterling service, it really should be better known and more recognized than it is.

^:|

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:35 am

WHich SMG was referred to as the "banana gun" by US "SOG" troops in Viet-Nam.

Even though it was a very late WWII design, it gained popularity all over the globe.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:35 am

:? M/45-CarlGustav?
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:15 pm

that's a good one, Willie... even I'm not sure. i was in Vietnam myself, but do not recall anyone ever calling a smg a Bananna gun. course i didn't know too many SOG types... furtive fellows they were. :)

best guess for me would be like FI Rules... sort of. the so-called, Swedish K submachine-gun. it was a very late WW2 design, it was used a lot in Vietnam and did recieve world wide attention as being a great little weapon. it also was used in many countries.

the KP m/45.

i really don't know though. just guessing.

good show.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:28 pm

were we right or wrong, Willie?

:)

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair