New Computer

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

New Computer

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:03 pm

Nearly got enough dosh for another computer, and looking for any input as to the way to go e.g intel or amd, grahics cards, memory and such like.
Looking from mid range to high end, any suggestions would be grateful received.

Vin
Last edited by :FI:Bluebell on Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:06 pm

8) Good for you M8...
To save some "dosh" just order the parts(try prizerunner) and build it your self...I did and saved a bundel...Good luck...
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:30 am

I'll post my specs tommorow, they work well for me!
:: napier ::

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi Ardmore

just got me a nice Computer

Amd FX55 /oc : 2900mhz
Asus A8V Deluxe rev2
Psu Aspire 550W
Thermalright Xp-120 (papst 120mm 4412f/2gm) Air cooler
Corsair TwinX 1024-3200 Xlpro 2.2.2.5
Leadtek A400GT 256 GDDR3 / oc : 400/1100
Saitex X52
Nokia Multigraph 445Xpro (21")

It is the fastest i ever have tryed. And on Coop mission you will never have Lag on BIG MISSION :D

Dundas
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:44 am

Very nice Dundas, was thinking along the lines of AMD, and thanks Napier need all the pointers I can get.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:51 am

ive got....

Athalon 64 3800 +
2 gig ram
Nvidia Nforce ATA Raid controller
2, 80 gig drives, RAID, striped
ATI All in wonder 9800 Pro
Memorex DVD+/-DLRWL1 F16
Samsung Syncmaster 21 "
I think i forgot something...

anyways..

im lovin her ;)

let me know if you have any questions
:: napier ::

Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Hi Ardmore, how are you. :)

All depends on how futerproof you want to make it really.

my sys: XP2800, 9800pro 128, Gigabyte Ga7vxp mobo, s/blaster live 5.1, 768mb pc2700.

This runs FB ok in perfect at 1024x768. Black death treak it averages 31 with a low of 7 (ram issue:not enough of it :) ) and a high of nearly 70.

On warclouds playing in perfect with many aircraft in the sky ocaasionally I notice the limitations of the m/c, i.e. frames drop enough for me to notice, which is probably below 20, but rarely. It normally gives a solid 30plus.

Point is I brought that vid card for a £110 pound about 4mnths ago and the rest of the sys, is well, cheap! :oops:

To buy all that lot new (if you could still get it all) without case, psu, keyboards etc, would probably cost about £300.

I think if you are going to go for a more high end system the ATI X800 series is the way to go though. The big thing in my sys though is that vid card. For £110 the performance is incredable really. They are considered by many much more in the know than me to be the best bang for buck out there.

Hope that helps m8 :D

:beer:
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:45 pm

get two ATI X800 cards,
'
'tis the season!
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:19 pm

Yep great idea Ardmore, get two :D and send me one while your at it!!! Actually therin lies the basic prob with sys's like mine. Wouldn't be worth putting one in because my cpu would limit it!!

bugger! :cry:
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:59 pm

So are you looking at a complete new set up rather than upgrading the existing one?

How much are we allowed to spend :P

In some ways I'd hold back spending now untill I new what was coming/requirements of BoB as that I guess is going to be the next big one ;)

Spend more on the motherboard now to ensure it is more future proof. Components come and go. Personally I have gone to an AMD64 but the mother board ASUS K8NE Delux will go on accepting that range of faster (long term cheaper) chips. Don't skimp here getting "good" when it limits future upgrades. False economy.

Graphics card - I have a Nvidea 6800GT. If you have an acceptable card already, e.g. 9800 pro, then just stick that in the new machine for the moment and get a cheapy one for the old PC and wait 'till nearer BoB release to see what is out there then. (Was a bit disappointed in my 6800GT, it's not that significant an improvement over what I had for the money spent)

Case/Power supply - Again don't skimp they are going to be with you for years. I went for an Antec Sonata "quiet" case, large fans etc as my previous one was very noisy. I can barely hear this one, the other sounds like a whiney hairdryer.

Have a couple of 120Gb disks, but not in a RAID array. The slave disk acts as the data back up of the other PC's on the mini network I have here.

Not sure about sound card. I get by at the moment using the ASUS onboard card. I might consider getting a cheapy one if it took a load of the motherboard/processer and improved game performance. (I have TS/Ventrillo on a different PC)

If you can get by with what you have at the moment for FB, stick with it anf wait for the next thing.

Just being practical :)

Most of it came from http://www.overclockers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G
I fear no beer

Finbar1
Postmaster

Post by Finbar1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:26 pm

Sparkle 6800GT 256 Mb
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD 3500 939.
IGB Samsung RAM.
Audigy 2zs.

Am RMA'ing the card like Gurberly I was mildly dissappointed with it now that I am experiencing frquent lock ups I am returning it.For details of probs with the GT 6800/6600 range take a peek
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at this site.
Am also going for better RAM when I can afford it.
Let me know how you get on.