4.10, 4.11, HSFX, UP3, All in one install

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

4.10, 4.11, HSFX, UP3, All in one install

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Now that I have your attention.

I have successfully installed IL2 1946, patches 4.10, 4.11, HSFX 5 and, UP3 into one IL2 directory. They said it couldn't be done. Able to switch between different versions using JSGME. Everything works flawlessly absolutely no issues. Just need to test Online.

I had to do this as my HD on the Laptop (Gaming rig going to be fixed once the tax man gives me some money back) is limited in size. As well managing multiple IL2 installations tends to drive me nuts.

Mind you this isn't something the computer file managing challenged types should attempt. There is some file moving, other words I didn't use the Hsfx, UP3 installation procedures....to the letter.

So if anyone is HD space limited such as I, and would like to give this a go, I'd be willing to provide more in depth "How to" description, but if you're happy with how your IL2 is setup, I wish my HD was as big as yours.

Cheers Sacktime

Ok here is how I got this to work.

READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU BEGIN.

You will need the following patches.

4.11 and hotfix patch;
HSFX 5.0 and the hotfix patch;
UP3 RC4; and
UP 3.0 RC4 Patch-HotFix

You will see references to the Il2 game directory as “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946”, this is just where I’ve installed IL2 into. If you have the HD space I’d recommend you have a copy of IL2 directory in the event this doesn’t work, but I’m confident this should work for you.
You will also see references to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\ jsgmemods” folder.

I just used my existing IL2 directory which was already patched to 4.10.1 with HSFX. If this is how your IL2 is setup then skip to number 2.

1. Start with a clean install of IL2 and patch up to 4.10.12. Run HSFX installer as normal. This will setup JSGME and all HSFX files.

2. Run 4.11 patch, BUT extract the files by way of the installer into a temporary folder, DO NOT extract them into your IL2 game directory, if so HSFX will not work.

3. Run the UP3 executable (UP 3.0 RC4 Patch-HotFix, we'll get to later) and do the same thing, as you did for the 4.11 patch but into another separate temporary folder.

So now you should have two temporary folders, one with UP3 files/folders and another one with the file/folders of 4.11 and hotfix.

Here is where things can get tricky.

4. Go to your “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\ jsgmemods” and create a new folder and name it “Stock 4.11” or what ever you want as long as you know it is for 4.11;

5. Go to the folder your temporary folder you extracted 4.11 into, and move, don’t copy, move the following files into your newly created “Stock 4.11” folder you just created in your “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\ jsgmemods” folder.

DeviceLink.txt (Probably doesn’t matter about this but I moved it anyways)
DT.dll
fb_maps18.SFS
files.SFS

(Note there is no new Il2fb.exe with the new 4.11 patch)

6. All the remaining files/folders you can copy/move from your 4.11 temporary folder into your “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946” game folder.

7. Install the 4.11 hotfix patch into your “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\jsgmemods\Stock 4.11” folder

Now for UP3. The procedure is a little different than the method for 4.11;

8. Copy all the files/folders, EXCEPT the following from your temporary folder you made for UP3, into your “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946” game folder;

il2_core.dll
il2_coreP4.dll
il2_corSSE3.dll
il2_corSSE4.dll
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
jsgme.ini
(If you copy this over you’ll have to once again tell JSGME where your game folder is, I deleted this form the UP3 temp folder I created)

9. Copy the files above into your “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\jsgmemods\#UP#_Enable_UP3.0” folder, which was created when completed number 8.

10. Now you can install the “UP 3.0 RC4 Patch-HotFix” into your “C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946”

Now you when you open JSGME you should see all the UP, HSFX mod folders as well as a folder for “Stock 4.11”, and any other mods you may have. Any questions or if you need clarification fire them my way.
Last edited by :FI:Sacktime on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: 4.10, 4.11, HSFX, UP3, All in one install

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 am

:FI:Sacktime wrote:Now that I have your attention.

I have successfully installed IL2 1946, patches 4.10, 4.11, HSFX 5 and, UP3 into one IL2 directory. They said it couldn't be done. Able to switch between different versions using JSGME. Everything works flawlessly absolutely no issues. Just need to test Online.

I had to do this as my HD on the Laptop (Gaming rig going to be fixed once the tax man gives me some money back) is limited in size. As well managing multiple IL2 installations tends to drive me nuts.

Mind you this isn't something the computer file managing challenged types should attempt. There is some file moving, other words I didn't use the Hsfx, UP3 installation procedures....to the letter.

So if anyone is HD space limited such as I, and would like to give this a go, I'd be willing to provide more in depth "How to" description, but if you're happy with how your IL2 is setup, I wish my HD was as big as yours.

Cheers Sacktime
Hey, Pat!

In order do get rid of my second IL-2 installation I'd really like to know how to do this. So how did you do this? :?
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 am

+1
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 am

Wow, Sacktime, very impressive! I may do something similar eventually but don't need to yet.

I've done a LOT of reading on a number of sites and forums in the last ~10 days or so (SAS, 242, 1C, SimHQ, etc.). One thing I learned is that HSFX 5 and UP3 use different versions of JSGME.
Don't know any details beyond that... just that they're different somehow. Generally all the forums seem to pretty much discourage "crossing the streams" like this, ~ala Ghostbusters. :lol:

Looks like you're using the JSGME that comes with HSFX 5 in order to switch between ALL of these options... right?

So my question is, do you end up with 2 separate JSGMEs on your desktop - 1 for HSFX5 & 1 for UP3... just as you do if you have separate installs?
Also... maybe you know about their differences... are you sure there are no conflicts introduced with all this? Sure seems like even if it DOES work flawlessly right now, there is major potential to foul things up if anyone goes into this finished product & tries to add any additional mods to HSFX or UP installations - unless they know EXACTLY what they're a doin'!

Thought I'd best ask before too many of the squad tries to go down this road. :-k
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:00 pm

...I'm scared...
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:26 pm

:FI:Blue2 wrote:Wow, Sacktime, very impressive! I may do something similar eventually but don't need to yet.

I've done a LOT of reading on a number of sites and forums in the last ~10 days or so (SAS, 242, 1C, SimHQ, etc.). One thing I learned is that HSFX 5 and UP3 use different versions of JSGME.
Don't know any details beyond that... just that they're different somehow. Generally all the forums seem to pretty much discourage "crossing the streams" like this, ~ala Ghostbusters. :lol:

Looks like you're using the JSGME that comes with HSFX 5 in order to switch between ALL of these options... right?

So my question is, do you end up with 2 separate JSGMEs on your desktop - 1 for HSFX5 & 1 for UP3... just as you do if you have separate installs?
Also... maybe you know about their differences... are you sure there are no conflicts introduced with all this? Sure seems like even if it DOES work flawlessly right now, there is major potential to foul things up if anyone goes into this finished product & tries to add any additional mods to HSFX or UP installations - unless they know EXACTLY what they're a doin'!

Thought I'd best ask before too many of the squad tries to go down this road. :-k
Blue Yes there are two different versions of JSGME, UP3 uses a newer version, I just replaced the older JSGME version that came with HSFX, with the newer verison from UP3, just the jsgme.exe I kept my orighinal jsgme.ini, or you can download the newer JSGME from http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/softwa ... jsgme.html, I did test the UP3 mods with the earlier version of JSGME and it worked fine. UP3 still has a launcher, those that have UP3 will know what I'm talking about, that allows you to make some modifications to RAM use and some other features. I can see issues with cross pollination, if you incorrectly use the DT.dll, SFS.files from the different mods, these will cause havoc with your install. I was able to join online through HL and play 4.10.1, 4.11, and UP3 servers with out being kicked. I'm hoping to be online tonight and give FIBW a go. And your absolutely right, I wouldn't even attempt to add any additional planes to either HSFX or UP3 [-X I still have nightmares of the old SAS Mod launcher days, those days were painful.

Last edited by :FI:Sacktime on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:29 pm

:FI:McBiggles wrote:...I'm scared...
:lol: brings back the days of the old SAS mod launcher nightmares.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:30 am

Works like a charm! :D

Thank you for sharing, Pat ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image