New HE campaign skins

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

New HE campaign skins

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri May 11, 2007 8:16 pm

If Historic Encounters moves into the Med and Italy and more custom-generic-executive-personal skins are requested, then it might be nice to have a thread to use for bouncin'roun' some ideas and work.

Here is the possible ac list for Italy/Med:

FW-190 A-5, Focke Wulf
Bf-110 G-2, Messerschmitt
Bf-109 G-6 Late "Gustav", Messerschmitt
Bf-109 G-2 "Gustav", MesserschmittJU_87D5
Ju-88 A-4, Junkers
Ju-87 B-2 "Stuka", Junkers
MC-202 VII "Folgore", Macchi
MC-205 V Series III "Veltro", Macchi
He-111 H-6, Heinkel

vs.

Spitfire LF Mk. IXc, Supermarine
Spitfire Mk.VIII, Supermarine
Spitfire Mk.Vb clipped wing, Supermarine
Beaufighter Mk.21, Bristol
Mosquito FB.MK.VI Series 1, de Havilland
P-51 C "Mustang", North American
P-38 J "Lightning", Lockheed
P-40 M "Warhawk", Curtiss
A-20 G "Havok", Douglas
P-39 D-2 "Airacobra", Bell

Most designs can be a quick re-paint of our Great FI Skin Project, but don't forget those nasty warped Spit sides! Gah!

Falcon
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Sat May 12, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri May 11, 2007 8:18 pm

Here's a P-51c with paint scheme similar to squadrons operating in the Med in '43-'44 ...

Ideas?

Opinions?

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm

She's a beut Falcon, great aluminum effect too.

I'll see about workin on some of the other stuff I've gotten for the campaign too.

Noter
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sun May 13, 2007 1:52 am

A couple ideas that I had for the P-40... If the paint scheme is off, please let me know and I can change it... I can't seem to find any italian P-40s... Granted, the only place I know to look is the russian Wings Palette site. Additionally, if the tail needs to be changed that's no problem. It can, with little effort, be changed to White, Orange, or any other color that might be better for the skin/campaign...

I also have about 6 different shark mouths that can be randomly used to give the squadron some variety...
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun May 13, 2007 2:26 am

Wow!

That is a nice P-40 template!!

I like the green tail, but have not heard from anyone else how they like it yet. The number on the nose or six different mouths sounds great.

Heh-heh, the only thing that I would like different ... if you want to split hairs ... is have the green in the front of the spinner and the white behind it and maybe, if the template makes it possible and IF you don't have a shark mouth, a gold band similar to my fiddy-one.

I think that if it is not possible to find a Med skin, then the desert skin modified is fine.

Let's see what others say about our schemes.

Thanks loads for the uber skin Jake!

F

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sun May 13, 2007 2:46 am

What color gold do you want? I actually like that idea and the green/white can be swapped quite easily...

I'll do that and get it back up, just as soon as I get the gold "recipe"...

Thanks for the compliments... :)

Edit:

like this?

You've got red on you.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Inout from one of the gang

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun May 13, 2007 5:15 am

Damn fine work, guys!

I like the Green Tail and the latest prop spinner/cowl bands!

My vote is a definite "YES!" ^:) :beer:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun May 13, 2007 5:23 am

Nice

Making a half educated guess I'd say (at least in the early stages) some squadrons were still in "desert" colours.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun May 13, 2007 5:48 am

:FI:Snaphoo wrote:What color gold do you want? I actually like that idea and the green/white can be swapped quite easily...

I'll do that and get it back up, just as soon as I get the gold "recipe"...

Thanks for the compliments... :)

You use whatever you think is right Snaphoo.

My green and gold (orange?) came from an average of all the Irish flags I could find on the net.

They are:

Galway green;

r - 53

g - 106

b - 54

Waterford white;

r - 245 (or 255)

g - 245 (or 255)

b - 235 (or 255)

Guinness gold;

r - 230

g - 147

b - 16

F

PS: I got the idea of the GWG nose from some of Genosse's designs a few years back.

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sun May 13, 2007 5:51 am

I've been using the orange (gold) from the irish roundels that I got from this here site, so I'd say I'm pretty close to the right color... perhaps a bit more faded...

Perhaps... perhaps...

per-haps...

Snaphoo...
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun May 13, 2007 5:59 am

Oh yeah! That's right! Those are prolly the rounds we got from some insignia files linked from the Ubi skinning site years ago using the above formula.

That yin - yang thing?

Use whatever fade/opacity you fink mate ... you da mang!

F

PS: Thanks Sneaky, I was thunkin' the same thing.

PPS: and thanks too, Dan :)

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon May 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Working on a med P-38 ...

Falcon

:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Mon May 14, 2007 6:52 pm

Blasted work and real life, you guys, are havin' all the fun. Some of the stuff I've been findind has the US insignia with a red stroke around it or just the star in blue cirlce with a yellow stroke. I'll try and get some pics up of what I'm talking about.

The 40 looks great Snap, love the green tail, and it's mine... and the 38 is fantastic, plus with the US markings we don't have to worry about the mirror effect on the tail booms (finally one of our skins will work).

Noter
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon May 14, 2007 7:25 pm

Matt,

Check this page, kinna good ...

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsh ... sp?id=1455

S

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Mon May 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Great site Falc! I could change the rounds fairly easily to any of those listed.

Thanks for the compliments Noter.

For the both of you and any other skinner types that might have done the P40 before. If I leave the markings as it is, due to the horrible planning of the people who made the void, the under wing markings will be doubled instead of just on one wing. If I leave the markings off completely, the game/sim markings could work or could completely cover the numbers that we use.

Do I leave off the markings all together, just on the bottom wing or just leave it like it is and we will just have 3 markings on the wings instead of just 2?
You've got red on you.