New HE campaign skins

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Check with Tac, I think he wants the designs to be historic colors with just details Irishy. So, he may want an authentic RLM 80 green, verde mimetico (or whatever) with historic-ey lettering and only squadron markings, squadron insignia and artwork to say ":FI:".
Rgr! All planes must have national markings and reasonable historic colour. DCG will always place the squadron insignia on the planes (can't turn it off). But from there we are free to enjoy our names and personalized noseart. While not all WW2 pilots enjoyed this "perk," certainly some did so it is very historical indeed (especially those Yanks spent much time and effort painting their planes for some reason :D ).

With regard to the :FI: insignia, I wonder even if we went with 2 permanent teams, if it could be altered somehow so it looked different on an Allied plane compared to an Axis plane? Different colour, inverted, etc. Might be a nice touch.

At this point I am sure we will be personlizing the Axis skins. Even if we donn't have 2 permanent teams (subject to interest) throughout the campaign, I can easily imagine us wanting to enjoy the campaign from the other side for some sessions.

TS!
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

what like:-

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu May 17, 2007 8:33 pm

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 pm

Sneaky, IF we need another insignia, that's a pretty neat idea. I was thinking that maybe a more ?Germanic? bird would be another option, but both ideas kinna feel kinna sorta un FI-ey ... ifyaknowadImean.

Anywho ...

the A20C and G mark, when/if needed, are ready for numbering and other generocustom accessorizing.

A20C

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri May 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Mossi ready for mass production if you like the design ...

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 pm

WIP

Beaufighter,

cross betwen tropical and temperate camo designs.

Will add green, white, gold stuff. May keep single letter code or go to member numbers.

Comments, changes, whatevers?

LMK,

Falcon

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon May 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Spitfire IX

Okay, don't look too closely at this, it is a WIP and a rebuild of my IreGreen SpitVb/IX. I'm working on the warp problems on the ID code and fuselage round. It's a step-by-step-pixel-by-pixel adjustment.

I've found that many Spits kept their desert/tropical/med camo paint thru much of the Italian campaign. If you've heard differently, let me know.

Lots of line/rivet opacity issues and graphic adjusting and backings yet to do too.

Nose okay, rather the red tail thing, maybe a green leading edge squadron identifier, conflicts with in-game squadron badges?

Changes, opinions, comments, inspirations of brilliance, bitches?

Falcon

:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon May 21, 2007 8:53 pm

Oh................. ahhh............

no one can dress a Beaufighter as good as you :)

Thinner stipes around the cowling. Spitfires are thin and sexy, those stripes are fat and well... if she was to say "Does my nose look big in this", well quite frankly I'd have to agree :)

Oh OK... Mossie is damn muchos goodos too :)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 pm

Sorry Falcon, gonna have to agree with Gurb on the nose. I think they look better slimmer...sleaker, not sure how to adjust it, maybe just the solid green nose. Dunno, just a thought...

The numbers and markings look fine, I know they can be a headache.

Noter
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 pm

!?!

You're saying my Spitfire looks FAT!!!

You never did like my mother either!!

I saw some Aussi Spits w/painted tails. I might nix da nose paint and try a green tail.

F

:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Tue May 22, 2007 1:08 am

Beautiful work!

I particularly like the camo on the Beaufighter and the weathering on the A-20.

As for the Spitfire, there's a guy who hangs around SimHQ and FlyingLegends called Kristorf (you skinners probably know him already because he makes templates) and there doesn't seem to be much he doesn't know about Spitfires. Anyway, he did a Spitfire Vc pack from Sicily in late 1943 and he deliberately put in both desert and temperate camos to illustrate the changeover in paint schemes that happened around that time (so you could go with either). He seems like a nice guy and would probably be happy to talk about Spitfire camos for this theatre if you contact him.

Moe
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue May 22, 2007 1:18 am

Kristorf?

Sounds fern ...

i don' cotton to no fer'ners 'roun' here.

Actually, that's a darn good idea Moe, thanks. I'll check it out.

Inthemeantime,

here's a slightly different scheme for the Spit.

Sorry for so many pics, but this is important ... it's a Spitfire fercryinoutloud!

Falcon

:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue May 22, 2007 7:18 am

:FI:Falcon wrote:!?!

You're saying my Spitfire looks FAT!!!

You never did like my mother either!!

I saw some Aussi Spits w/painted tails. I might nix da nose paint and try a green tail.

F
Did I say she looked fat??

Ah was just suggesting thinner slinkier stripes more in keeping with the rest of her sleek and sexy lines. ;)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Tue May 22, 2007 7:33 am

Wow, look at her tail (the spitfire's, I mean). It's green!

Looks kinda interesting, euro-desertian ;)

(I know it is for the HE but may I have one for desertos mapos pls?:)
ImageImageImage
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue May 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Started work on the Spit Mk VIII with US markings, hope to have pics by tonight or tomorrow.

Noter
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue May 22, 2007 11:25 pm

Noter,

I'm on nins and peedles waitin'!

Started on a second 109 med skin ...

Falcon