Completed squadron skins only please

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Updated "done" post, again.

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 am

P-40B/C/Hawk-81's all set and uploaded.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:40 am

Yak-7 all done but cant log in to ftp
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:08 am

Sneaky Andy,

Sometimes the FTP just won't let you in. Try again later. Check the address and stuff and if you still can't get in, ask Gurb.

Tell him you like cats and he may help you.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:23 am

Just DL'd the US skins and the Spit Vb + the Yak 7.

- that makes a zip of 310mb

My file sharings down for service right now as well, so I'll sit on it till the web wakes up.

My neighbour likes cats - does that count?

I could even e-mail a kitten . . . .
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:32 pm

Wouldn't it be better to leave the planes in their individual zips rather than making it all one big zip? I appologize if I misunderstood the previous post, but having someone download a huge file, when downloading several smaller files might be faster, seems a bit odd to me.

But there may be a very good reason for having a very large single zip file, that I may be missing. If so, please enlighten me. :)
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:08 pm

I don't know what the heck we're doin'.

It feels like we're building a Harley on top of the wife's dining table on Thanksgiving morning. If it gets too big we may need a second place to store all the parts before it's done.

Uh oh ... here comes Gurb with the sweet potatos!!

Keep building! We'll figure out how to do this when it's done ... hopefully!

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:45 pm

But unlike building a Harley, you cant vent the nitrous kit to improve her humour . . .
But there may be a very good reason for having a very large single zip file, that I may be missing. If so, please enlighten me.
I guess a lot depends on how folks want to manage the skins in their own installation. Clearlly one huge zip would be unmanageable; but 3 or 4 compiled zips might be easier than 160 odd single aircraft to DL ( and thats just up to 4.05 :lol: ).

I was thinking maybe a zip for each airforce. Certainly found DL'ing the unzipped individual Wildcat skins tedious ( and made a mistake on the filenames which I have to correct x60 ).

Dont know what the overall preference would be:-
  • 1 zip for each aircraft (and variants)
    1 zip for each airforce - RAF, USAF,VVS,LW (& Italian),IJA
    1 zip per campaign plane set ?
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:13 pm

That's why I divided the file outline like I did. I separated default skins and personal skins so a guest or new member can dl just the defaults fairly quickly.

All the defaults would be placed in one zip and the VVS, RAF, USAF, LW would have there own manageable personal zips.

If we ran out of space, another member could host just the VVS personal skins for example.

Initially, we will probably have a lot of errata and need updates across the board, but eventually we may only need an update of just the LW skins file or whatever.

These smaller zips plus clear info of exactly where each skin goes in a note file in each was how I first figured how things may work.

F

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:00 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:That's why I divided the file outline like I did. I separated default skins and personal skins so a guest or new member can dl just the defaults fairly quickly.

All the defaults would be placed in one zip and the VVS, RAF, USAF, LW would have there own manageable personal zips.

If we ran out of space, another member could host just the VVS personal skins for example.

Initially, we will probably have a lot of errata and need updates across the board, but eventually we may only need an update of just the LW skins file or whatever.

These smaller zips plus clear info of exactly where each skin goes in a note file in each was how I first figured how things may work.

F
I think that seems more logical to me. Keeping everything clear and simple. I haven't figured out how to zip everything to go to the proper folder when unzipped, and have had bad experiences with zips that were intended to serve that purpose. So, providing that everyone can download the zips, as they are, without changing plane names, this should work just fine. If we make the zips too large, then some details might get lost in the shuffle and planes might end up in the wrong folders. One plane one zip should be fine for now. I think most people can place the zip in the proper folder and then find the proper plane folder, using the extract function, to unzip the files into. If not, I'm sure we could come up with a tutorial, or "README" to add to the Zips for those that might not know where to put the skins.

How much space is too much? Should we start tabulating now so we don't gum up Gurberly's FTP server?
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:48 am

:FI:Snaphoo wrote:... Should we start tabulating now so we don't gum up Gurberly's FTP server?

I understood that there would not be any math in this project.

~~~

Finished the P-38's in IreGreen. I think I'll do an easier one next.

Fal "Uh ... carry the two ..." con

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:24 pm

I understood that there would not be any math in this project.
Fair enough. All the better for me as well.

Snaph.

Will try to finish some I-16s or some Gladiators tonight. Maybe both.
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:18 pm

Yeah, I fink we'll need another place to stash some of these skins.

Any volunteers?

~~~

Yak-9s (personal) all done

F

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:35 am

Gladiators/J8As, I16s and MiG-3s are all complete. I have not uploaded these as of yet.

*"Done post" updated.

:D

Snaph.
You've got red on you.
Post Maniac General

BF109E personal skins

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:00 pm

The 109E skins are done.

Thanks Falcon , for the link to Bright. It literally knocks spots off the PSP conversion.

*Still can't access Gurbs server*
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:30 am

You're welcome Snoo, err ... Snee!

Let's see how much of Gurb's FTP thing we hog before we upload the Germermans, Italians and Japanese, okay?

Done!

I-153 personal; skins in IreGreen.

Over 500 skins done!

flippin' heck!

F

EDIT: Still? Talk to Gurb, check passwords ... firewalls?