FI aren't the only ones who problems landing

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

FI aren't the only ones who problems landing

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 am

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: FI aren't the only ones who problems landing

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:55 am

A bit bumpy, in'it?
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Gah!

I keep tellin' 'em ...

you can't hire the Mexican pilots from the street corner in town ...

you gotta go to the mall for the good ones!

>runs<

thx Eamonnd

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:14 pm

If it was an FI landing he would have plowed it in, and the airfield would be strewing with the remains of other planes with the odd smoke stack marking the guy's who took a more direct approach. :D I have been on 3 flights where the landing were very very rough.
(1)Athens January 1991 landing in a storm w/h British Airways, it was so bad the cabin crew asked us to give a cheer for the pilot. The plane dropped in an air pocket so fast peoples drinks shot out of there glasses and cups and hit the over head, where the liquid proceeded to run back along the roof and because the plane was now in a steep climb trying to recover lost alt. it all rained down on me as I was the poor sod in the back seat :(
(2)Shannon in the mid 90's Aeroflot flight from the US. Pilot went from 30,000ft (or what ever there cruising alt. is) to landing straight in, in two dives; this was the only time I was ever sick on a plane. Talking to a friend of mine later who was in the US Air Force he told me that the pilot must have been an ex Soviet Fighter Pilot, back in the days of the C.C.C.P the Pilot's were allotted x amount of fuel a week, and since they wanted to spend as much time training @ dog-fighting ect. they would forgo the usual take off and landing BS and simply blast there way to combat alt and when there fuel was low they would come straight down, no holding patterns for them.
(3) AirLingus into Shannon again in a storm rough as hell, but then we were kept on the plane; taken to Dublin where the plane took on the fuel required to fly back to the US and then flown back into the storm only to land again in Shannon which is where I was getting off. This is the only time I prayed in about 20 years I was in all honesty shitting myself.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm

worse was O'Hare, spring Chicago 2002. Horrible weather, storms, cloud cover. Final pings for cabin crew on final, horrendous turbulence, still can't see the ground a few seconds , engines start to power up and plan noses up slightly and then bang we just dropped out of the sky through the clouds and it felt like we dropped for 1-2 seconds and off we went for another try. A lot of people for sick! Not pleasant.

Pilots came on and said turbulence but seemed more like a reaction to a micro burst.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Flying from Belfast to Birmingham 2003 - 60 to 70mph cross wind gusts on landing. That was fun. Never been to glad to get off a plane in my life.
Olegs stalker

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 pm

60 to 70mph cross wind gusts on landing
yikes. Surely he should have aborted?

Mind you AerArann will land in anything so they don't have to divert
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:58 am

Returning to Albuquerque from Houston last year...

Just prior to crossing the Manzano Range into the Rio Grande Valley, the pilot announced to Fasten Seat belts due to anticipated violent turbulance.
Some airhead from Downtown decided that would be a great time to head for the restroom. :)
(This is an Embraer RJ45, with seating for only 50 pax, so imagine how it would handle in voilent turbulance?)
As soon as she shut the restroom door...BANG!... we hit some of the heaviest turbulance I've ever encountered.
The flight attendant saw the dummy heading for the can and tried to stop her, but was too late. So she headed down the aisle aft and first was thrown into the overhead, then to the floor, then to the overhead, then to her knees on the floor! Seemed like it took her four or five good bounces before she got the can door. By that time she was so mad she was whaling away at the door screaming at the ditz inside to get out and buckle up!
About that time we hit another good one and the door opened enough to see her bare knees and panties around her ankles.
Everyone on the plane was watching and started howling with laughter!
First time I ever got entertainment with my flight on Continental! :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x