How can one tell if he is playing the game for too long?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Nix
Baby Boardie

How can one tell if he is playing the game for too long?

Post by :FI:Nix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:10 am

Well,

Let me give You an example of what happened to me a couple a weeks ago: I have arranged with my mother to pick her up with the car. So I entered the long street (boulevard) and saw a woman far way standing next to the road. Believe it or not I have actually tried to zoom in on her to see if it's really my mother. Sounds weird probably but in a split second I have really tried to do it. I was so used to zooming in IL-2 to recognize a target that I have tried to do it in real life on automation. I don't know if there could be a more alarming symptom than this one.

I still play it! :)

Keep in mind, if you fly perfect Defensive BFM and the bandit flies perfect Offensive BFM … "you're gonna die".
"If one flies like a wuss, one dies like a wuss." N. Jovanovic - Nix, Fightin' Irish Squadron, 2011
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: How can one tell if he is playing the game for too long?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:10 am

Nix wrote:Well,

Let me give You an example of what happened to me a couple a weeks ago: I have arranged with my mother to pick her up with the car. So I entered the long street (boulevard) and saw a woman far way standing next to the road. Believe it or not I have actually tried to zoom in on her to see if it's really my mother. Sounds weird probably but in a split second I have really tried to do it. I was so used to zooming in IL-2 to recognize a target that I have tried to do it in real life on automation. I don't know if there could be a more alarming symptom than this one.

I still play it! :)
I remember that I´ve had a comparable expierence made when once driving behind a car I started to estimate the distance between both of us in order to find the spot for the right gun convergence. This sim/game can be quite addictive, can´t it? :lol:

Anyone else? :D
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:03 pm

TIR syndrome = moving head sideways to look around instead of turning. :roll:

(turns right base for final approach to kitchen.)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:11 am

LOL Sneaky!

Aw, that's nothing, Nix.
A Focke Wulf darted across my nose during my morning flight today, and when the lead was just right, I hammered down on the trigger.... nothing! Just silence!! DRATS!! Crew forgot to reload my "bird" again! .....So, the wild man in the BMW made a clean getaway. :x

One of these days though, I'm going to take out a whole column of these jokers on the Central Expressway... just as soon as I get these .50 cal's syncronized to fire through the radiator fan. :badgrin:

Actually it's been a long time since I played the game enough to have episodes like these, but I too have experienced "TIR syndrone" myself once or twice, followed by a good laugh at my own expense!

Fun topic! Anybody else?
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:57 pm

:FI:Blue2 wrote: ... One of these days though, I'm going to take out a whole column of these jokers on the Central Expressway... just as soon as I get these .50 cal's syncronized to fire through the radiator fan. :badgrin: ...

:lol: :shock: :lol:

Why yes, Mr. Blue2 was such a quiet neighbor. He was nice to the kids and always gave us a frendly wave. Who would have thought that one day ...

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:48 pm

You mean when these things happen they're not real?????

:shock:

My therapist tried to warn me, but the mechanic near the woodpile in Malta convinced me he was wrong. :)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x