The three step method to becoming an Irishman

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

The three step method to becoming an Irishman

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:27 pm

Fellow flyin' folk!

Due to the flood of new member candidates in the last month,

over 20 since the end of March,

and a drop-out rate of over 50%,

we have raised the bar

and raided the bar

on membership qualifications.

No longer can you become a Fightin' Irishman just with your good looks

and a friendly Guinness

now the prospective Erin must fly with the mates

and be proven worthy.

This is taken from the new application:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book of Shiela; V:9-20

"... before you become a member of the staggeringly stupendous "Fightin' Irish Squadron" you will perform for me these tasks three ere you won't get in y'see?

1. Write a "Hello" post to all the lads in our "OFF TOPIC" Forum. As an honored guest you may visit and post in all forums except the "Squadron" forum. Tell them who you are, where you live and explain in detail your feelings about life, flying and wainscoting.

2. Task two proved to be too difficult with the mates; what with all the thinkin' and considerin' and brain stuff so we took it out ...

3. Keep in touch with us in our Forum. Feel free to join in any discussions and speak your mind. Learn when and where and how to get on line with us for a bit of flying. There is no hurry in this. We will be happy to help get you going if you need any sort of help.

4. Fly with us; Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, whenever. We will then have at you and scientifically analyze your target potential.

5. Finally, once you have at least one good on-line session with us, write back to me and let me know your feelings and what name/handle/callsign you'd like, remind me where you live and if you would like a specific squadron number.

A "good on-line session" doesn't necessarily mean successful. If you are still having technical problems, scheduling problems, TeamSpeak problems, whatever, the main thing the lads want to see is that you seem willing to give it a good try and that the Fightin' Irish and you will make good mates.

If everything goes well, your plea will then be put before the "Green Man" and your spiritual energy levels will then be evaluated.

During this period, it may be a good idea to pet a tree."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This means that your opinions and observations of our new candidates are very important.

I'll be listening in on how the flying sessions went and taking any *private*e-mail you have about the new lads.

Thanks for your help,

Falcon
IFalkon@AOL.com
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:33 pm

...and just to emphasise it is not about cherry picking, or ability, or technical prowess, it's just to encourage a bit of interaction and contribution to the squad via either the online game play or through the forums. Quite simply, we were getting way to many applications who had not bothered to seek us out online and had not bothered to make more than a passing hello on the board.

During beta testing....I was the person that failed task 2. It's not my fault that there are no virgins around here is it?

Happy to welcome all comers of all abilities, but they have to want to join.
Last edited by :FI:Gurberly on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fear no beer

:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:59 am

Good idea :). Choco and Israel get to it m8s :D. I'll see you when I get back in 3 months :D
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:19 am

We'' have to think of something NEW and even more exciting than wainscotting for Snoops to get back aboard. :lol: ;)
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Hmmmm.

Post by :FI:Fenian » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:07 pm

Hmmm...wainscotting

_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Barcat

"......we have raised the bar ..."

Post by :FI:Barcat » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:14 pm

"......we have raised the bar ..."

and where is the cat ?

my ikon ran after it .......
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:57 pm

Are we doing away with the sheep thingy then, surely not, if thats the case does anyone want some good quality wellies :)

Vin the lovelorn
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
JHannibalSmith

Hello squadron members...

Post by JHannibalSmith » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:02 pm

Good evening. My name is David and I live and work a short hop over the Irish Sea in Glasgow. I got IL2 for christmas and after wasting time and money trying to get it to run on my girlfriends PIII I gave in and ordered a brand new IL2 machine. I play as much as work and bird allow, and try to get enough daylight to avoid getting ricketts.

I've been playing at ubi.com and have become rather fond of "JHannibalSmith". Like the A-Team I fire a great deal of rounds but very rarely hit anyone. Occasionally a plan comes together, which is good.

As regards Wains Cotting, it would be a pleasant place if it were not for the overgrown wooly killer farmyard animal problem. I'm told it's best to creep up quietly and tackle them from behind.

I work a lot of shifts so would struggle to commit to a regular flying schedule but I'll do my best to fly a hole in the seat of my pants when I do!

How do I go about using Hyperlobby, and does everyone use headset thingies?
Crazy
Boardie
Location: 60 miles southeast of the great city of Cleveland, Ohio

Post by Crazy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:48 pm

See your other post :)

Are we doing away with the sheep thingy then, surely not, if thats the case does anyone want some good quality wellies
Doing away with the sheep?? :shock: What would poor Olga here do??

:lol:
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:01 am

Quick note, since we often fly servers with our squad password the guys trying to become members might have a hard time getting to play with us. How should we handle this?
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

That's...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:47 am

...one fine lookin' critter ya got there, Crazy! Add a couple of strap-on horns and I may have a mascot!

Smith, most of us use "thingies", but you may not want to know how we use 'em! ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:19 am

:FI:Snoop Baron wrote:Quick note, since we often fly servers with our squad password the guys trying to become members might have a hard time getting to play with us. How should we handle this?

I don't know!

I got in on my good looks,

not my brains!

gah!

but ...

I'm sure,

if they participate in the forums

we'll know 'em when we see 'em

maybe?

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
The Unforseeable

Re: Hello squadron members...

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:19 am

JHannibalSmith wrote: How do I go about using Hyperlobby, and does everyone use headset thingies?
If you have not already got Hyperlobby, you can download the client here
http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/modules.ph ... tit&lid=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an online manual here
http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/modules.ph ... page&pid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which shows how to connect for the first time etc

If you have already got it installed, and are having problems connecting let us know.

Some of us do use headset thingies and communicate via TeamSpeak (3rd party comms software). We don't use the in game comms as quite frankly, it's crap ;)
Last edited by :FI:Gurberly on Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fear no beer

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:25 am

:FI:Snoop Baron wrote:Quick note, since we often fly servers with our squad password the guys trying to become members might have a hard time getting to play with us. How should we handle this?
It is generally only those peak period Sunday sessions that are password protected. There are plenty of other times when we are either hosting non password protected servers or in other open servers.

The passworded ones were initially set up for the Sunday sessions as they were becoming filled with non FI people to the point where existing bone fide FI peeps were having problems getting onto the server.

G
I fear no beer

Tekki
Beginner

Re: The three step method to becoming an Irishman

Post by Tekki » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey,

I have just read that post....after making an application :oops: Still need to show up I know!

However, I am confused.

Is there any chance for me to become Irish?

Grany was spanish, gran'pa was german, Mom and Dad born in Algeria ( nothern Africa), ,I born and raise in France, briefly maried in Austria my kids Mum is Swiss.

Now I'll ask you straight, how the ache do I become IRISH? :?

Confused I told you :D :D :D