What do you think of this free alternative to TeamSpeak?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

What do you think of this free alternative to TeamSpeak?

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:01 pm

I just stumbled across this today:

https://discordapp.com/

Do you guys have any experience with it? It might be a good free alternative to TeamSpeak.

I'll have to give a try someday :)
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: What do you think of this free alternative to TeamSpeak?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 am

Disord? Never heard of it before ... :? :?:
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Me neither, but since it's free I think I'll give a try some day. I'll let you guys know what I think of it if I do :)
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Some pros and some cons.

I play MMOs with PRX guild. They tried it recently but have decided to stick with TS3. I did log in though had no mic to test,but could hear some conversation, albeit quietly.
IMO you can do all that it really offers in TS including file sharing, but to use discord while gaming you really need 2 monitors (I see no options for overlays). It may be useful for mission and campaign builders, but thats about it..
(from PRX foums )
Discord is awesome for sharing information. Can post links, images, videos, chat, and talk. Making new channels/servers is easy. Discord is good for staging/planning/socializing. For anything requiring real-time strategy, I'd still recommend TS3 for large scale and Skype for small scale.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I tried it. Don't like it. Couldn't get it to let me talk while in-game. You cant just right click the desktop icon and set to Admin, you have to go all the way in to the checkbox "Run as Admin" for it to work. So far it LOOKS nice, but dont see it as special.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You cant just right click the desktop icon and set to Admin, you have to go all the way in to the checkbox "Run as Admin" for it to work.

So far it LOOKS nice, but dont see it as special.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ok, no more Discord, Ill keep it as a backup. (GMs comment)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks Sneaky for the info, seems like it's not ready for prime time but shows some promise. Hopefully they will fix the issues and keep the price :). For Hunternet I've implemented my own built in voice chat it's not as feature full as TS but it gets the job done.