Reporting back!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Reporting back!

Post by Sapper-FIN » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 am

Hi guys,

Bless me FI for i have sinned; it´s been 8 years since i´ve last played il-2 :)

The thought of getting back to the cockpit has been on my mind for a long time, but a couple of days ago i decided to patch my il-2 installation into the current version and give it a go. I have really missed the game and the community. However i was a bit disappointed to see that there ain´t that many people at hyperlobby anymore playing il-2, so what is "the" game these days?

So, what have i been up to, these last years? Well, more deployments to the sandbox, work, and i went to school for 5 years to get my master´s degree. I´m still on active duty. With studies, deployments and everything else going on with my life i really did not have enough time to fly. And for the past few years, i´ve had a side business of designing and manufacturing tactical gear, which still takes up most of my spare time.

Anyway, it´s nice to still see familiar names on this forum

-S-
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Re: Reporting back!

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:17 pm

For Il2 HSFX or 4.13 seem most common in Hyperlobby.
Cliffs of Dover with ATAG mods is excellent.
BOS seems flavour of the month, but I'm not so enthusiastic about it. Perhaps it's all that snow.

My rating:

*****CloD
**** Hsfx
***BoS

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:49 am

Sapper-FIN wrote:Hi guys,

Bless me FI for i have sinned; it´s been 8 years since i´ve last played il-2 :)
We might forgive you, mate ... :? :lol:
Sapper-FIN wrote:The thought of getting back to the cockpit has been on my mind for a long time, but a couple of days ago i decided to patch my il-2 installation into the current version and give it a go. I have really missed the game and the community. However i was a bit disappointed to see that there ain´t that many people at hyperlobby anymore playing il-2, so what is "the" game these days?
As Sneaky already mentioned: the remaining pilots still flying IL-2 use 4.12.2m + HSFX Mod 7.03. We mostly fly on Sunday and Wednesday evening at BST 1900. Some of the rest of the FIS has departed to other flight sims like IL-2 Cliffs of Dover or IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad. Others switched to other computer games or got seriously involved into real life. No complaints but that's just the way it is ... :? :shock: :cry: :doubt:
Sapper-FIN wrote:So, what have i been up to, these last years? Well, more deployments to the sandbox, work, and i went to school for 5 years to get my master´s degree. I´m still on active duty. With studies, deployments and everything else going on with my life i really did not have enough time to fly. And for the past few years, i´ve had a side business of designing and manufacturing tactical gear, which still takes up most of my spare time.
I'm honestly glad to see that you're still alive and kicking since as far I can remember you've been sent to Afghanistan a couple of years ago. I do hope that you got physically and psychologically intact out of there. IMHO it's a good sign though that you've started a business there so you seem to look for a good life in the coming future. It's good to see you back, Juha!!!! :D =D]

Slàinte, mate! :beer: :) 8)

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks for advice Sneaky and Gen!

So, now that i´ve patched my game up to 4.13.1m, is it possible to downgrade it into 4.12? Oh, i thought that IL-2 Cliffs of Dover and IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad were just different add on´s of the same game, so those are separate games?

For the past several years i´ve been so busy that i haven´t really got the time for a game that requires a level of dedication like the Il-2 does; i´ve been mostly playing bf3 and bf4, until i got sick of those; i figured it would be nice to start playing grown up games again :D
I'm honestly glad to see that you're still alive and kicking since as far I can remember you've been sent to Afghanistan a couple of years ago. I do hope that you got physically and psychologically intact out of there. IMHO it's a good sign though that you've started a business there so you seem to look for a good life in the coming future. It's good to see you back, Juha!!!!
Thanks man! Well actually, i am now trying to get a deployment to Iraq; it seems like an interesting place :D

It´s nice to be back, too bad Il-2 has lost the popularity it once had, i blame x-box and other consoles for that :evil:
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Suppose it's a bit late now, but the trick is to install IL2 4.12.2 + HSFX, and then add the 4.13patch in a folder in the JSGME mod switcher.

Just these 2 files-

The rest of the patch goes in Il2 root folder.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 am

Sapper-FIN wrote:Oh, i thought that IL-2 Cliffs of Dover and IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad were just different add on´s of the same game, so those are separate games?

[...]

It´s nice to be back, too bad Il-2 has lost the popularity it once had, i blame x-box and other consoles for that :evil:
Yes, they are seperate games. Cliffs of Dover was actually produced by Oleg Maddox and parts of his former IL-2 crew yet for some reason they screwed it up in the first place. In the meantime a team of dedicated ClOD players has taken its development in their hands and keeps this sim alive. Talking of Battle of Stalingrad a new founded group of flight sim developers based on the 777 Studios and responsible for the WWI flight sim Rise Of Flight has created this far more advanced sim which has almost nothing in common with the original IL-2 apart of its series' name and newly organized company 1C.

Unfortunately, none of above mentioned flight sims have really reached the same popularity as the original IL-2 did before. I do see several reasons for this yet least it has something to do with game consoles. We have to face it: a flight sim is a niche product with a small market. :?

BTW, I'm still flying IL-2. Moreover I could fly BOS and RoF with you as well if you like, Juha ...

Cheers, mate! ^:)

Image Image
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:51 am

I see Sapper has returned, and I may be dropping in now and then myself. I retired last year and now have some time on my hands and fewer real life issues to deal with. I've installed version 4.12.2 with version 7 of the historical mod. I have not installed 4.13, but have it on my desktop if needed.

I'm just now starting to get re-familiarized with the app. I bought the IL2 Ultimate Edition that came with version 4.11.1, which I upgraded.

I don't have Cliffs of Dover or BoS.

I only recently upgraded my PC to Windows 7.... haven't used it much these past few years.

Will be looking into the ground combat apps you all are using.

Planning on moving out West someplace next summer. Will be taking a round about trip in the spring to visit a few places and make a decision as to where.

Best wishes to my old acquaintances,

Mike Victor :beer: ^:)
:D
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Welcome back in the club, MV! :D

It's good to see you back again, mate. I hope you'll have some time soon to fill up our thinned out lines of pilots still flying IL-2 1946 (Wednesday/Sunday). :)

Maybe you'll be also interested in getting IL-2 Battle Of Stalingrad/Battle Of Moscow after you've moved house. It's much more demanding when it comes to your flight and the technical performance of your PC. But I think that this sim series will be the future of WWII flight sims ... so you'll better be there ... eventually! ;)

See you soon, mate! ^:)

Image Image