Snoop's new MMO shooter Hunternet public reveal!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Snoop's new MMO shooter Hunternet public reveal!

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 am

Hey Armitage, sorry it took so long but here is over an hour of un-edited footage from last week's play test. I titled it "LittleDragon (aka Amanda) and the hunt for white pizza!!!".

I had some frame rate issues with the screen recording software, but other than that I think it was a good recording. Let me explain a bit more of the game, so that the footage makes more sense :)

The goal is to destroy your opponents to pickup their wreckage which is worth a $ bounty. That bounty then gets added to your score which increases your own bounty. You can spend some of your $ to purchase new abilities. Each ability has a repair cost so you should only purchase what you really need (you can sell what you have for full credit and respec any time). Wreckages are color coded. They are green if they are worth bounty for you (you don't get bounty for stealing other player's wreckages, but you do deny them theirs). They are blue if it is your wreckage or that of a teammate. They are red if they are the wreckage of an opponent but it was not from a player destroyed either by you or your teammates. Self-destruct, team or self kill wreckages give bounty to any team that picks them up.

Each time you fire an ability there is a short cool down 250ms-800ms you cannot use another ability until that cool down passes. If you get hit you also suffer a cool down 250ms-500ms and your thrusters are cut in half for a short period and your recharge and repair systems are temporarily stunned.

If your score goes over $100 you go Apex and get a flashy new plaint job and and another 100e. If you are apex and get destroyed any bounty collected from your wreckage is subtracted from your score, this makes it difficult to remain in apex mode if you do not play well.

There are three stances each with a modified version. A stance changes the way you move and what abilities are available. The ground stance is very flexible and can glide. The space stance can fly and drift, it is great for aggressive pilots. The satellite stance can switch between first person and a top down view at any time, it can also fly but it maintains altitude independent of your orientation. The satellite stance has double the rate of fire for ricochet and rockets but must stop to fire those two abilities. You can tell which of those three stances I am using by looking at the HUD in the lower left corner. The shape of my aiming reticles will also change to match my stance as does the target box around my target (hexagon is ground, diamond is space, and circle is satellite). Modified versions of each stance have green engine trails and trade access to certain abilities for a more improved movement abilities.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or want me to explain anything :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSvdsNkKLs
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:43 am

It's been a while since I shared anything, so here is a quick montage of Amanda and me vs a friend of mine :) In the clip, you can see the new optional third person view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnjSrTferlk

Hope you guys like it :D Let me know if you have any feedback :)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Geez, Snoop, the TIR really made a difference! 8)

Action in the tunnels really took me back to my days of Descent. Your efforts give a Descent/Free Fall feel. Looking really really really good!!!!!

When you consider the manpower and hours involved with the aforementioned earlier games, having done all this on your own is nothing less than amazing to me!

Good on ya! 8) :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:59 am

Thanks, Helo :)! I'm getting ready to list the game as a free alpha on itch.io and I'm quite nervous, but you have boosted my confidence :D Stay tuned for more :)
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:16 am

The progress is fantastic to see Snoop, well done! Already looks to be in better shape, both graphically and gameplay-wise, than many of the early access shooters on Steam for instance.

Helo nailed it with the Descent comparison—I knew there was *some* game Hunternet reminded me of, but I couldn't place it until Helo mentioned it. Definitely a 'spiritual successor', or maybe 'digital descendant' is better :)

It's really interesting to see the development come along, especially the video clips showcasing new features. Community involvement, even just simple communication with fans, seems to be an integral part of game development these days—although spare a thought for the No Man's Sky devs!

The hype train on that one hit light speed a long time ago and seems to have totally overtaken the dev team's vision, not to mention their delivery capability, for an 'indie' game. I guess there are currently no plans to release Hunternet on consoles? :lol:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks, Moog :)! That's good to read, my plan is to do an early access on itch.io before doing one one steam. That way I can use the trial run on itch.io to be sure to exceed expectations before beginning early access on steam. Updating my website for the itch.io alpha is what I was going to do last week, but I came down with the flu and I'm just now starting to get better.

Even though there are some surprising similarities, I had actually never played Descent until recently. The similarities are not enough to feel like a successor, but hopefully, if you enjoyed Descent you might also enjoy Hunternet. There are actually two kickstarted Descent successors currently in development. One that bears the Descent IP and the other that is being developed by two of the developers from the original game.

I agree with you community involvement is very important. As the Hunternet itch.io gets started I'm stepping things up in this department.

Yeah, I've been following the No Man's Sky story. Their procedural universe tech is very impressive but the hype grew out of control. Hopefully, they are able to keep more of their fans happy through updates.

You guessed right Moog, the are no plans currently for anything other than PC. If Hunternet is successful on PC then I wouldn't rule out a console version, but I've already have my hands more than full :)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi guys,

I've finally pushed the button and made the Hunternet alpha available on itch.io (it was previously unlisted). I'm also switching from weekly playtests to nine playtests a week, so if you'd like to check out the game now is the time :D I would love to see you guys again in the Hunternet!!!

You can join me:
Everyday at 8PM Chicago Time.
Or on weekends also at 2PM London Time.

I'm also streaming on twitch and you are free to try the game solo vs the ai or with a friend anytime.

For more details check out the game's new page on itch.io: https://cpudreams.itch.io/hunternet

If you have any thoughts I would love to hear from you :)

s!
Snoop

ImageImage
ImageImage
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:01 pm

Wow, looks very different from the last time I played it. Well done Snoop!
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:09 am

Thanks, Tact :). It's changed quite a bit since then :). Hopefully, you can try it again someday, I'd love to show it to you! Hunternet will go through one more major facelift before the final release. I'm thinking of going with a mecha theme for the final look :) You can switch between three different stances that change how your craft moves/flys so I want to represent those as different transformations in a mech, kind of like Robotech if you are familiar with that series.

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:20 am

L-Lord! It's a Transfomer! :shock:

It's looking great so far. I hope its playability will be easy. The older I become the less key assigned commands I tend to forget ... :roll:

Keep up the pace, Fernando! =D]

Gen "Fair enough!" osse ^;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:45 am

Yeah, like a transformer with three forms that you ride inside of :D

The play-ability is much easier than it was when you last played and improving ease of use has been the focus of many changes. It's much easier to hit your targets than before and you do not need as many keys. You can be competitive with a loadout that only requires LMB, Shift, WASD, and Spacebar (less keys than even most shooters). You can still go crazy with a loadout that has 18 abilities but it's no longer necessary and large loadouts have their drawbacks.

Thanks, check it out and let me know what you think :D
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:03 am

Wow that looks really good.

I'll try and get it at the weekend and join you around 2:00pm London time.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:37 am

Thanks, Armitage :D I look forward to playing with you!
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2rNCF3CpX8

I'm working on a new tutorial video, but if you are interested in Hunternet here is one I made about a week ago :). It will give you a leg up if you decide to join one of my weekend playtests :)

s!
Snoop
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:31 am

Hunternet Academy 101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fnMqYABayo

A new 2 minute tutorial video for us those of us with short attention spans :lol: