Automatically Selecting Custom Icons

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Automatically Selecting Custom Icons

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:58 am

Folks I have been stealing as much information from a fellow named Soda (Soda_MOH) concerning DCG and various IL-2 related issues lately. I should be ashamed but I'm not. Just hope he continues to think my dazed and confused stare is me thinking things over. :oops:

Anyway he recently mentioned how I could have the game automatically select my custom icons. This might be handy for fellow hosts and those using custom icons in offline pursuits.

This method requires you to edit your rcu file found in the IL-2 game directory (you can use Windows Notepad).

1. First add a line "@file iconset". This will point to another file called "iconset". You will create this file in a moment.

2. If you haven't already created custom icon settings in your rcu file, you need to do this by using the mp_dotrange command. You can name these any way you want. In my example below I use "fi" (friendly icons) and "ei" (enemy icons). For more information about mp_dotrange head over to Airwarfare.

My rcu file:
  • @set fast off
    @set echo on
    @set alias on
    @file iconset
    @a hud speedbar HIDE
    @set history 20
    @alias a alias
    @a h history
    @a s show
    @a on fps START SHOW
    @a off fps STOP SHOW
    @a default mp_dotrange DEFAULT
    @a none mp_dotrange COLOR 0.005 DOT 25 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 0.005 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
    @a fi mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.005 DOT 25 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 0.005 ID 0.005 NAME 2.0
    @a ei mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.005 DOT 25 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 0.005 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
3. Now close the rcu file, and create a new file called "iconset" with no suffix. In this file include the following (obviously using whatever name you choose in your rcu for your custom icon setting)-

My iconset file:
  • fi
    ei
    timeout 30000 file iconset
Now when you launch the game your custom icons will automatically be selected. No more manually entering them, or opening the in-game console and selecting them.

If you need to disable this feature just put a "#" symbol in front of "@file iconset" in your rcu file (i.e., "#@file iconset").

TS!