I'm shopping for a new Joystick or maybe a PC PU

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

I'm shopping for a new Joystick or maybe a PC PU

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Hello everyone! It's me, Pat, the other Canadian guy. Hope all has been well?

Now the pleasantries are finished on with my issue. My 5 Year Old X52pro has become completely unreliable, thus the 4+year absence. What I'm looking for is a new Joystick so I thought who better to ask than you all (why do I feel I may regret this). I'm leaning towards another Saitek but this time an X52 don't need all that MFD fancy stuff which doesn't work with Il-2, RoF or, Il-2 Stalingrad, but it is the problem, the MFD Saitek driver or DirectInput drivers will not execute correctly due to the picky, picky, picky power requirements for this Joystick, for example, an external powered USB hub is not recommend to be used, as it apparently may have unreliable voltage fluctuations which are apparently enough to cause the X52Pro MFD to not load correctly.

Yes I did think of a new power source, cheaper and maybe the reason for my problems as it isn't what I would say, the best. When I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit the X52Pro worked fine for almost 7 months, which was awesome as I wasn't able to enjoy it, I was out of country.

So, Saitek tech support has, well disappointed me, but migrating to a X52 would be much easier than getting use to a more unfamiliar joystick.
Money wise, I'll dig some out of the Quad found (insurance is to much anyways, I'll keep the snowmobile).

So your recommendations would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sacktime
aka Pat
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: I'm shopping for a new Joystick or maybe a PC PU

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:10 am

Sack
I had a x52 aswelland i later got a logitech g940 flight system,and hated it ,i ended up getting 2 second hand x52, so now iam happy again with plenty of spares.
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:14 am

Sorry, Pat!

But I don't think I can't offer much help ... if my Saitek Aviator-01 stick will break I don't know what to do either. All those fancy joystick/throttle/pedal combination systems scare the s**t out of me ... they are way too complicated for me since I'm a simple guy ...

With simple greetings ...

Gen ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:23 am

Hi Pat,
I've had the same set of CH stuff for probably 8 years now, and never owned any Saitek, so I won't be much help on that either. Good to hear you might be rejoining our sessions in the near future though! Good luck gettin' this all sorted out, mate. :)
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:56 am

well I was flying the old MS joystick until recently (just a basic joystick no rudders, no look around etc) and I was very kindly donated a Logitech G940 with rudder and I would never go.
Having a separate throttle and feet rudders is great. Much better control over the plane, greater sense of flying. I would really recommend. There is a learning curve but its not that bad.
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for your input fellas, but I think I have a solution. I've dug out of the old tickle trunk my old Saitek Cyborg EVO. As some of you may remember, I was a lefty, or left handed and the EVO allowed me to custom the joystick for a south paw like myself. Well when I graduated to the :only right handed people" X52Pro, I had to learn how to fly with my right hand.

Long story short, I might be up this week end if anyone is playing.

Sacktime
aka Pat
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:52 pm

will be around on Sunday