Suddenly Cannot Host

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Suddenly Cannot Host

Post by :FI:Murph » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:57 pm

With help from Mikester, I have been able to host il2 sessions. I no longer use my own wireless router. I went with just using the router/modem provided by comcast, and it has been working fine for some time until just a couple of weeks ago when I needed to replace my motherboard and main hard drive, which necessitated a re-install of windows 7 64, and everything else.
I copied my most recent version of Il2/HSFX7 from the old drive and it works fine, but now I cannot host anymore.
Last night we tried changing the port extention from 21000 to 21010 and 21001, but that doesn't work anymore. I have not been able to get into my router settings page in order to see if the port forwarding needs to be reset- comcast allegedly uses 10.0.0.1, but it's not connecting when I try going to it. Any ideas?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Re: Suddenly Cannot Host

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Murph u need to see what ip range your router is on first.

Hit start, then on the search bar type "cmd" hit enter

From the black dos prompt type "ipconfig /all"

What's the address of the default gateway? That's your router address, type that into your browser.

That will get you started, I suspect you may need to set this up in your router again, your machine will have a different name and ip so your router won't be forwarding the traffic to your pc.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:36 pm

ON re-install did Windows firewall activate? check permissions for this and any 3rd party firewall.
OS reinstall still ought t o leave router serttings unchanged.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 pm

If I type my default Gateway (10.0.0.1) into my my browser, the page doesn't load. I have since learned that I need to call comcast and have someone there grant permission to access the router settings. My IP has not changed since I re-installed windows.
I also have il2 showing as allowed in my firewall settings.
Changing out the MB and reinstalling win7 are the only things I can think of that have changed since I last was able to host.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:59 am

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 am

Got this sorted out lastnight, looks like the PC had picked up another IP so traffic was no longer forwarded to murph's PC.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Yes the particular ip in question was the "IPv4 address" listed in ipconfig. This needed to match the server ip address in the port forwarding page. I later talked to Dan and we were able to get him set up to host as well- he needed to disable port triggering.