Il2 - Painless patching

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Il2 - Painless patching

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:46 am

I'd recommend all to install new patches for Il2 and HSFX in jsgmemods folder.
For 4.12/4.11 folders I've added the config.ini after running the version so that game starts with the chosen screen resolution and aspect ratio.

I've had no issues ( apart from a missing QMB mission that was not included in 4.12 DL), and only need 1 installation, plus of course a backup on a USB drive. Also found that 4.11.1 patch can be overwritten to 4.11, as can 4.12.1 to 4.12. The same should apply to any future hotfixes, but ALWAYS make a fresh folder to test first.

I don't use UP ,but would suggest that be kept on a seperate install for those that do
Last edited by :FI:Sneaky_Russian on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Il2 - Painless patching

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:11 am

I've been using SAS Modact with no real problems, but Dan hasn't been able to get it working at all- he gets a "not a valid 32 bit application" error whenever he tries running Modact. Any thoughts, Sneaky?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:32 pm

:FI:Murph wrote:I've been using SAS Modact with no real problems, but Dan hasn't been able to get it working at all- he gets a "not a valid 32 bit application" error whenever he tries running Modact. Any thoughts, Sneaky?
Never used it , so no ideas on how modact works . It should run from a folder in C:\ outside of "C:\Program Files (x86)" whether it's 32 or 64bit. TBH it could be anything from a corrupt file, out if date W7 comonents .NET framework, C++ Java etc. even an over-zealous AV may cause issues esp if executable is a .bin rather than .exe

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks, that at least provides some guidance on how we might trouble shoot this issue. The new version of HSFX is being worked on as we speak so hopefully that will solve this. However, if he has this same issue with HSFX we'll know where to start looking for a solution.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm assuming the "not a valid 32 bit application" error comes when running the activator rather than the il2FB.exe
Still shooting in the dark
Can you confirm the file type extension for this?

also double check file size, date and release version if possible.
If they check out OK it may be related to a .dll or .ini exclusive to ModAct being out of date or corrupt. Of course the Win error "not a valid 32 bit application" may not be telling the whole truth, and if the installation was moved from one location to another' the paths given in the .ini could be different to the new location. Same goes for .bat files if used (which I doubt is the case at this stage of advances in modding.)
If all else fails :awkward: :beer: :beer: :beer: