Question About RAM

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Question About RAM

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 am

I'm working on a new rig. So far I have a Thermaltake mid-tower case with extra fans, ASUS P8Z 68-V LX motherboard, Intel i5-2500K unlocked CPU and I'm at the point where I need to think about RAM. The MB supports up to 32G in four slots. I thought I would start with two sticks of 4G each which I could later upgrade to 16G by adding another two matching sticks.
My question is this; DDR3-1600 is pretty reasonably priced- is it really worth it to pay the extra cash for DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2000? The MB will run any of these.
I intend to also get a 750W PSU and a 1Tb SATA HDD with 6.0Gb data transfer rate. Sound OK?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Re: Question About RAM

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 am

I'm running DDR1600 now and am having no issues with RoF, IL-2, or Skyrim.
If you think you need the extra speed, your pocketbook will be the determining factor.
Just remember you can't mix RAM speeds. All the RAM must match as DDR1600, DDR2300, etc.
With your GTX460 and your current RAM, just adding additional DDR1600 should be fine.
Nice sounding system for what you told me you spent.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks Dan. I've decided to buy new RAM for the new rig and give the current one to a good friend who could use an upgrade.
Which bring me to another question; If I wipe clean the drive and re-install Win7 64 in the current rig using the HP built-in utility, can he just use the PC without having to pay for a new license or anything like that?
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

:FI:Murph wrote:Thanks Dan. I've decided to buy new RAM for the new rig and give the current one to a good friend who could use an upgrade.
Which bring me to another question; If I wipe clean the drive and re-install Win7 64 in the current rig using the HP built-in utility, can he just use the PC without having to pay for a new license or anything like that?
Murph, you need 1 license per machine so the license on your current old rig would either need to stay with that machine or if you want to take this to your new machine, u need to format the drive and get your m8 to buy another OS.

If you try to use the same license on 2 machines youl have problems. Big Bill will pop up on your new rig and give you a telling off :shock:

If yur m8 decides to buy the OS get him to buy a bit of hardware with it to make him eligible for the OEM version around half the price.(just buy a mouse)

hope this helps
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:09 am

I already picked up an OEM copy of Win7 64 when I bought the case, board and Cpu. So If I clean up and reinstall on the current machine my friend should be able to use it no problem?
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:27 am

Shouldn't be a prob if the original OS goes with the same machine. If you install it before giving it to him just register it as is...no names or anything just to play it safe.
Then sit back and wait for his tech support calls. ;)

If he wants his own copy of W7 OEM, many places won't even require a hardware purchase. They'll fake the invoice for him.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Had W7 64 ultimate installed on this rig when I got it. After several upgrades to hardware SP1 came out and demanded I enter a key (which I didn't have . 1 call to MS support and a couple of remote sessions got me authenticated again and fully up to date. no charge.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:09 am

Home stretch. Picked up WD Caviar Black 1Tb w/6Gb throughput. Installed it and DVD player/burner. Ready for OS install, but I don't have time to do it right now. Also have to swap out vid cards between the old and new rigs. I have a GTX260 I can put in the old rig.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Sounds great Tim. Another solid year of ROF development, the new and old IL-2 stuff, you should have an enjoyable time flying mate. I have been really enjoying my Alienware laptop since Christmas, and look forward to hopefully getting an Alienware desktop in the next year or so. Did you get any SSD Murph? Though maybe a little cramped, my 256GB SSD does really make the thing move along. One doesn't realize how much of a bottleneck the HD is until you try one. Of course it is not critical and still a bit pricey, well especially for laptops anyway.

TS!
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 am

I hope to be able to pick one up some time in the future. Drives in general are pricy these days because of flooding in Taiwan, where most of these are produced. Prices are predicted to stay high until nearer the end of the year.