Using the ToKG on a Ju-88 A-4/Torp

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Using the ToKG on a Ju-88 A-4/Torp

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Folks!

Today I´ve had a bit of time on my hand so I toyed around with the new Ju 88A-4 Torp bomber. After several unlucky attempts I´ve finally found out how to use the new torpedo device on this bird ...

I hope you'll get the same results ... ;)

S'loot! ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Re: Using the ToKG on a Ju-88/4-Torp

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 am

Nicely done, Frank! :D
My I add it to GS?
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

Re: Using the ToKG on a Ju-88/4-Torp

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 am

:FI:Heloego wrote:Nicely done, Frank! :D
My I add it to GS?
Feel free, Dan. :)

Image Image
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Using the ToKG on a Ju-88 A-4/Torp

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Would this system be the same Frank as the UZO on U Boats?. There seems to be a lack of Math involved namely in getting the target range, speed & AOB or was this used as an aid to rough shooting and while I'm full of questions atm, did they only use steam torp's or were there any electrical? and what about homing torpedoes later in the war. Indeed are they the same type or a lighter smaller version then were used on U-Boats? Very interesting Frank well done.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:33 pm

:FI:Rabitski wrote:Would this system be the same Frank as the UZO on U Boats?. There seems to be a lack of Math involved namely in getting the target range, speed & AOB or was this used as an aid to rough shooting and while I'm full of questions atm, did they only use steam torp's or were there any electrical? and what about homing torpedoes later in the war. Indeed are they the same type or a lighter smaller version then were used on U-Boats? Very interesting Frank well done.
Jeez, Greg!

So many questions ... :? ... but yes, it's a similar system as the UZO on the U-Boats. Actually there is no help given when it comes to calculating the AoB, speed or even the range. And to be honest it was more or less estimated by me (after I've flown this QMB mission six or seven times). For example estimating the target's speed I could look back onto my experiences as a mission builder and I knew that the freighter's max speed is about 9 knts. I'm not sure if the German torpedo bomber crew had more and better technical devices aboard their aircraft but what we got here has to work for us, right? :(

For all other questions I´d like to refer you to the chapter torpedos in TD's official User Guide ...
Realistic Torpedoes
WWII aerial torpedoes were delicate equipment that needed be dropped with some
precautions. Each torpedo type had an optimum altitude and speed of drop that allowed it to
hit the water with a determined, optimum angle. If the angle was bigger, the torpedo tended
to sink. If it was smaller, it did not enter the water and skipped on the surface. Also, the
torpedo could not be dropped from too high altitude, because if it impacted the water too
hard, its internal mechanism could be damaged.
Each torpedo type in IL-2 has its optimum drop parameters, of course some error is allowed,
but not too much.

• LT F5W (Italian Whitehead)
100m, 300Km/h
• LT F5B
40m, 250Km/h
• Mk13, Mk13a
30m, 205 km/h
• Mk13 late
180m, 400 km/h
(this torpedo had a much wider range of drop than the early one)
• Type91
30m, 240 Km/h
• Type91 late
60m, 330 km/h
(this torpedo had a much wider range of drop than the early one)
• 45-17
30m, 205 km/h

Also torpedoes had to run for some time into the water to arm their warhead, so torpedoes
cannot be dropped too close to the ship (distance should be bigger tan 400-600 meters).
Torpedoes dropped on ground or directly on the ship (without hitting water) will not explode.

Circling Torpedoes
This patch also brings two new examples of torpedoes which are circling torpedoes that had to
be dropped from a safe height in areas such as harbours that were crowded with enemy ships.
These torpedoes run in circles for some time, if no ship was hit they self-destroyed.
Motobomba FFF and 45-36AV-A are the circling torpedoes implemented in IL-2.

Motobomba FFF (LT 350)
This weapon was designed by Italian designers Frefi, Filpa and Fiore (hence the name FFF).
The FFF was a 500 millimeters (20 in) diameter electric torpedo. It was dropped from high
altitude, a first small parachute was used to stabilize and keep a low fall velocity; around 200
m of height, a bigger parachute deployed, to assure a softer impact into water. The torpedo
26 / 35 was designed to steer concentric spirals until it found a target. It weighed 350 kilograms, and
contained a 120 kilograms warhead. Its speed was about 15 knots and it had an endurance of
15–30 minutes.
The FFF was used in small numbers and without success against Gibraltar, Alexandria and
during convoy battles in August 1942. Later it was adopted by the Germans as the LT 350 and,
used in larger numbers. It scored some successes against moored ships at Tripoli, Bone and
Bari.

45-36AV-A
This Russian torpedo was based on submarine torpedo 45-36 (which in turn was based on
Fiume design). Adopted in 1939, it had a speed of 39 knots and a range of 4km. Drop height
was about 2000-3000m.

Torpedo-Kommandogerät
ToKG device is like a simplified torpedo data computer found in submarines. ToKG sets the
torpedo gyro angle which turns the torpedo once it enters the water. For example angle +30
would turn the torpedo 30 degrees to right. ToKG needs two input parameters from the player.
Target ship’s speed in knots and ship’s AoB (Angle-on-Bow).
ToKG is used with the old bombsight speed & side slip keys. Speed keys are used to input
target ship’s speed in knots to ToKG. Side slip keys are used to input ship’s AoB (Angle-on-
Bow).

Optional spread parameter can also be adjusted with bombsight angle keys. Increasing spread
angle means that torpedoes will have different paths and therefore chances of hit can increase.
Setting a spread of 6° means that left side torpedo will curve 3° to left and right side torpedo
will curve 3° to right.

The idea of the ToKG is to input these two parameters to the device which then calculates a
correct torpedo gyro angle and feeds it to the torpedo. This way the pilot doesn’t need to
estimate the angle and steer plane to take needed lead before the torpedo is released. With
ToKG the pilot always aims the plane directly towards the target ship.
Anyone who has played submarine simulations, knows that besides target ship’s speed and
AoB, distance to the ship has also some effect to the torpedo gyro angle. However when the
distance changes, angle remains somewhat constant. The optimum torpedo release distance
for ToKG use is 2000 meters from the ship.

ToKG can be found from Ju 88A-4/Torp, Ju 88A-17 and He 111H-6 when torpedoes are
carried.

Image Image
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Some nice stuff you got there all right Frank. It would be very hard to get the range, coarse and AOB while trying to keep the plane in the Air @ the same time; I guess the bomb aimer in real life would have a lot more time to do the targeting then the pilot/aimer in the game. Still and all very impressive I always thought they dropped by eye oh well you learn something new every day.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 am

:FI:Rabitski wrote:Some nice stuff you got there all right Frank. It would be very hard to get the range, coarse and AOB while trying to keep the plane in the Air @ the same time; I guess the bomb aimer in real life would have a lot more time to do the targeting then the pilot/aimer in the game. Still and all very impressive I always thought they dropped by eye oh well you learn something new every day.
Well, in order to keep the aircraft in the air while figuring out the data for the ToKG I used the level stabilizer ... no big deal. ;)

Image Image