TACTICS SCHOOL: A Joint Effort

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Just as I thought!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat May 15, 2004 7:23 am

The IL2T and IL2I are not at the bottom of the list! ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Goat Skies

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:11 pm

No, "Goat Skies" is not available at this time.
Due to the move to Grants, NM, my account at alltel.net is closed and so is the site.
However, once I get an ISP here in Grants, you and your ancestors will all
have the pleasure of visiting it once, gagging, leaving your comment(s), and refusing to ever return. ;)

Later...

Helo out.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:52 pm

Figure I should add this tip here aswell to help collect this sort of thing :)
Tip for seeing better in no icon servers!!

I've been practicing off line in the quick mission builder to be better prepared for no icons flying with VWF. Well I noticed that the dots when they where at a distance and light gray colored where a bit "washed out" against the blue sky. This made it harder to see incoming planes when doing quick scans around the cockpit. Well I thought maybe by changing my monitor settings I might be abel to improve things. So this it what I did, it helped significantly so I recommend you give it a try if you haven't done so already.

1) Pause the screen while looking at a fighter that is far out so that it shows up as a grey dot agains the blue sky.

2) Use your monitor controls to adjust contrast and brightness.

3) Set contrast to 100%. (Might try settings lower than that, but it makes sense to use 100% contrast)

4) Adjust brightness starting at 100% and then going down untill you find the sweet spot for having those dots stand out as much as possibel against the blue sky while at the same time not making the game too dark to play or look good.

I brought my brightness down from 100% to 80% and it made a big difference. I was able to beat the training mission I was flying just 3 trys after making that change and I had already flown it atleast a dozen times before the change with no success

Give it a try m8s

s!
Snoop
ps. The mission was 4 Ace P51s with 25% fuel vs my P51 with 25% fuel all planes at 2k. This makes for some good situational awareness training as the AI splits up so you constantly have to check all around you or they will sneak up on your six.
Paddy
Baby Boardie

A good web site

Post by Paddy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:50 am

Hi All,
I came across this web site last night whilst on my quest to become a better pilot.

http://www.il2flying.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's certainly worth a look.

Timber.
Go neiri on bothair leat!
May the road rise up to meet you!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:06 pm

wow,

thanks Timmy

the author could use some help now and then

but the info is very interesting.

Fally

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Paddy
Baby Boardie

Post by Paddy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:32 pm

Fally,
I am deperate to get my first kill online. :evil:

I am willing to read anything at the minute that will help me ;) I know practice makes perfect and all that but I am finding that lack of knowledge of strengths and weakness of each aircraft is where I am suffering the most(also the lack of raw talent).

The programmer in me is coming out here when I look for the following. I am looking for a Matrix with a plane vs every other plane that you could reference. I doubt that I will find anything like that out on the web but it would be great reference for beginners like myself. I am not saying that I will be anygood after finding such a Matrix but it might help me.

T.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:45 pm

I understand, Tim.

I am definitely in the remedial class when it comes to online kills

but from what I hear

the mantra is:

practice, practice, oooommmmpractice ....

find one early war bird you "like"

and a late war bird too yoost in case.

or whatever ...

fly them extensively

get to know them.

Suggest to the server dogs,

Snoop, Gen, etc,

to include those models in their missions.

Then,

get on line with me and I'm sure you'll get me sooner or later.

I'll be the one flying perfectly level

and holding an exact course.

gotta give the stews time to serve the drinks and peanuts before I get to the target area.

gah!
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Paddy
Baby Boardie

Post by Paddy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:54 pm

:)

Practice it is so.
Gorgeous_Gorge

Post by Gorgeous_Gorge » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:28 pm

Cheers for that Timber :D

Hopefully it will improve my flying slightyly

But as you said, practice it is ! :lol:

GG
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:52 pm

Thanks timber,

I needed a document like that.

Dutch

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:03 pm

The trick is not just practice, but being systematic about it mate. That's the key. If, for example, you are focusing on DF, playing campaigns or COOPS really isn't as helpful as QMB.

Looking at how to take down planes more quickly? Fire upon friendly planes in QMB. While I wouldn't go too far from realistic engine/game settings, feel free offline to use externals when engaging (or better watch the video afterwards), carry unlimited ammo with lots of friendly targets, try to out fly your wingman, get creative with your training sessions.

It takes a very long time to really understand how all/most of the planes generally work. Don't worry about it. As suggested, try to specialize only on a handful of planes from both sides (because you will need to fly Allied/Axis sooner than later plus knowing each plane set is very helpful).

Get handy programs that compare planes performances (i.e., corner speeds and climbing rates). Maybe the guys can provide links to some of the more popular ones. I usually keep a clipboard with my notes concerning various planes very handy when playing. ;)

Next time your online give some thought to your plane selection, what the other guys are flying, icon settings, and the general layout of the map. Pick a plane that you know its ideal corner speed and climb rates. Get as high as you can and stay cool. Pick a lone target if you can. Maintain your energy throughout the sortie. Think aggressively mate. That Snoopy - I mean - puppy is going down. :badgrin: And approach quickly, don't fire until 150 metres or less, aim for the cockpit, engine, or wing (slightly from the side). Then tell me you haven't experienced your first kill online.

One further thing, while there are no hard and fast rules, and experience takes time, I seldom find a good reason to dive when attacked. Quickly assess the situation. After you have dived, or worst climbed steeply up, your options are far less than they were originally. However, perhaps you can outdive his plane, or outclimb, but beware if you entered this fight with low E because forcing an overshoot might have been the better solution.

Again, general guidelines are great but SA and experience is what makes for great pilots (and rockets, lots of rockets!!! :badgrin: :lol: ).

P.S. Just don't shoot at me, ok mate? :D
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:28 pm

Sod the practice, just get on line and have a bit of fun, that's why you got the game? Sooner or later some Do "Falcon" zo will drift across your gun sight, and no matter what you do, you can't help but fire and shoot them down.

Save the offline stuff for when no-one else is around

...and to be honest, people fly so differently from the AI, that they are virtually incomparable.

... and per chance if it turns out you like getting shot at lots, then you can strat the twin engined and ground attack planes, ya know, bomb stuff... that has its own sweet rewards. Trust me :)

Just don't get to hung up on being seen to perform or to perform well. There is always someonre better than you out there... typically someone who plays 18 hours a day ;)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Cider
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Cider » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:33 pm

Yeah gurberly!

practicing is cowardish (and unfair) :lol:

old motto from the band i played with some time ago...

try to have fun, the rest will come by itself!

:FI:Cider
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:35 pm

:FI:Gurberly wrote: There is always someonre better than you out there
True enough mate. Just think Timber, if say you and "pretty boy" ;) George decided to try and cover each other how much more dangerous you boys would be. :badgrin:
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:50 pm

Timber, I recommend you read the docs I posted towards the begining of this thread. "The Vultures Thoughts" to start with and then "Mark's Shoot To Kill (STK)". At the same time do some systematic practice as Tactical recommended. The QMB (quick mission builder) is good for this. If you do this dillegently you'll be shootin' tactical in no time :lol:

Also another very important thing for us virtual pilot is that you have to first make sure your system is setup properly. You need to have good frame rates. A joystick that works well, should allow for nice smooth control not a plane that is hard to manuver. Once you have those two basics good joystick and good FPS (sacrifice graphics details if you have to FPS is more important), then you can think of getting some nice to have extras. I would consider getting a TrackIR unit. Then maybe add in some rudder pedals.

s!
Snoop