Hello to all - complete rookie

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
eatit
Beginner

Hello to all - complete rookie

Post by eatit » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi all.

Brief introduction...
Name is Tom (32), I live just outside London with my wife and 2 daughters and have in the last week found the delights of IL2!!
I located your forum through Ubi.com (=FI=Falcon) and hope that I can utilise your knowledge and experience to get into the online flights.

My current experience is very limited (see HERE) but I feel I am progressing nicely enough to join a server and at least try to avoid getting blown to bits :)
What is the best way to find you guys online and would a newbie like myself be welcome on servers (or is it frowned upon?).

Thanks for your time

Tom
PS: I should mention that I am currently involved in a gaming Clan (namely MYT) but this is solely for COD4.
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Re: Hello to all - complete rookie

Post by :FI:Gadje » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi Tom

Welcome to the FI forums.

Going online is pretty daunting for the first time and I would recommend joining a coop with folk on comms to help you through.

The FI coops run early evening Sunday and Wednesday and late Sat the wee hours when those FI across the pond fly.

Your welcome to join, just ask and some high heid yin will give you Teamspeak details. In the meantime keep practicing offline. QMB is good for shooting /flying practice and there are single missions for practicing take-off and landing.

Good luck and good flying!

ps The squad fly cockpit on, no externals and usually no icons either which although hard are worth learning in my view. Its hard at first anyway whatever settings you choose and once you master cockpit on you won't look back.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Tom,

Welcome to the =FI= forums. Have you filled out an application yet? Just go to the front page and click on the SQUADRON button on the left side. An ap is not needed to join in on the fun though. We are in the dead middle of switching from 4.09b1m and 4.08m with and without mods to 4.09m so hang in there, ask any questions you need, get in on any dogfight or co-op session and join in on the yappin' in TeamSpeak(TS). If no one has sent you the TS info by E-mail or PM yet, let us know.

Yeah, heed Gadje's wise words. He's not a very good pilot, but he tries.

>runs<

Lookin' forward to seeing you in the air,

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Welcome to the forums mate =D]
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

:FI:Rambo
Professional Boardie

Post by :FI:Rambo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the FI forums!
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:30 am

Hi Tom

Welcome. Might be good if you introduced yourself over in the "Off Topic" forum as more of the guys hang around there than in the flight school :lol:

Having said that we are a broad church here in terms of level of commitment and skill with flying sims. We have some real hot shot aces, and then some more casual pilots (I fall into the second category), and we also fly missions with both fighter and ground attack roles, so we really try and provide something for everyone. Hang around in the forums and try and join us online and see if you think you would fit in.

^:)
Olegs stalker

:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Hey, ho, welcome aboard of the FI forums ! :)
Image ImageImage